Severe pain in left side - a cyst or something else?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, for the past month I have been experiencing spotting and some weeks with no appetite. 

At first the dr thought I was pregnant but did a test to rule it out. I usually have a regular cycle and my last period was late and wasn't like my usual one. I have an awful constant pain in my left side that started 5 days ago. I went to see my dr yesterday and she did another pregnancy test and tested for any infection - all came back clear. She seemed concerned and has gave me strong pain killers to ease the pain, she also said I should go to accident and emergency over the weekend if The pain gets any worse. I am quite concerned to be in so much pain and not know what is causing it, I have developed a bit of a limp as I struggle to walk upright and I'm currently spending my weekend bed bound. Could this be a cyst or something else? The pain is on my left side and it is extremely sharp at times, I am still spotting and have pain under my arms. Any help would be greatly appreciated smile thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, if the pain is that bad I would certainly go to A&E or go back to GP.  Very odd that she is not taking this seriously.

Reading these posts it would seem cyst pain is usually in the general ovary region, also gives back pain, hip pain and sometimes bloating - not come across pain under arms on this forum.

Pain could be any number of things but severe ongoing pain should be investigated and 5 days seems too long to me.  I'm not a doctor but I woudl listen to your body and insist this is checked out right away.

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi 

sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Can't believe doctor did not send you straight to hospital. It could be anything but whatever it is sounds like it is pressing on a nerve or something to be affecting your leg like that. If I were you I would go to casualty, they may X-ray or scan you at least you would get the test you needed to diagnose your problem. Good luck I hope you get it sorted and are pain free soon

june x

• Posted

Hi there

First of all I don't like your Doctor!!! 

Ok maybe you are not pregnant but he/she is treating you like your some kind of ginuea pig! 

I would be livid!! I would change my doctor

That's for sure. In fact that's quite irresponsible of the GP to have just left you like this. 

You need to get a second opinion.

I had an ovarian cyst, years ago which after much pain and a final diagnosis in the hospital, the consultant found a 3lb cyst on my right ovary. Unfortunately I had to have it removed. If your tummy looks bloated than usual, and it hurts to touch it, it sounds like there is Definitley something going on. I also remember that I had terrible stabbing pains in my side. I was taken in first for my appendix . My periods were suing up because of the cyst. But because it's in the low area of your groin, I did get grumbling appendix, before I had the oopherectomy. But you need to get an ultra sound done ASAP! And insist on it too. After all it's your body not theirs okay best of luck x😊

• Posted

I'd get yourself off to A&E, or at the very least see an out of hours doctor. The pain under your arms could be your lymph nodes swelling in response to an infection, which might well be linked to a ruptured cyst or similar. Best wishes, don't be a martyr!! The NHS is there for us, use it :0)
  • Posted

Hi guys, thanks so much for the support!

I went to a&e and have now been admitted for a couple of days until I can get a scan on Monday.

I've had all sorts of tests so far as they thought it was my kidneys. I'm now on the gyno ward and they are convinced it's something to do with my overies. I'm on painkillers through a drip so that is easing the pain loads! 

Yep, not happy with the dr! At least I'm in safe hands now. 

smile  

• Posted

Hiya

Pleased they getting you sorted. Wishing you all the very best 

June x

• Posted

Thank you smile I'm on tramadol, codeine and also paracetamol though a drip. It's helping loads! Can't believe I left it so long. Least i'm getting sorted now smile 
    • Posted

Well at least they got your pain under control smile

So that is a start.  I can't believe

Just how much these cysts and ovaries affect your whole body and the side affects they cause .  At least now whatever

It is

Will

Be dealt with quickly smile 

Take care

June x

• Posted

Hi,

The symptoms which you are describing seem very similar to mine i.e. severe pain and no appetite. I ended up going to A&E where I was given strong medication and had a pelvic ultrasound last week.  I was diagnosed with a 4cms  simple ovarian cyst.  I will be having a repeat ultrasound in 8 weeks to see if it has abated.  Hope that you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thanks for replying! They're pretty sure that it is a cyst so it's just a waiting game now! How long did the pain last for if you don't mind me asking? I'm hoping it will go away on it's own but I suppose I'll find out tomorrow! 
    • Posted

I had the pain for quite sometime before the finally discovered what was wrong with me.

Had trouble with my monthlys when I was younger, so that didnt help atall.

But all I can remember that my periods were very heavy before I had the op, and alot of stabbing pains. 

But it's better to get it sorted out ASAP. 

Let me know the outcome 

Take care 🐥

• Posted

Hi,

The pain is still there but has thankfully reduced in intensity a little.  Bear in mind though that I am on medication which is due to run out in three days.  Thats my hope too.  Its just a waiting game at this stage which I'm finding pretty difficult to handle but I'm pushing it all to the back of my mind.  I hope that everything goes well for you.  Let me know how you get on.  Take care. 

• Posted

Hiya. 

How are you feeling now? 

I hope you are feeling much better. I think they do key hole surgery now, if they can. Back in the 80s when I had it done it was like having a c section! But the operations that surgeons do these days are much better now.

But when it's all done and over with, you will feel sore, tender. Don't lift heavy things either.

But your in good hands take care let me know 

When you had it all done. God bless you 🐥

• Posted

Hi all! I'm on my fourth day in hospital now. They are pretty sure I've had a ruptured cyst. The pain has eased but now I havin trouble with my waters and what feels like cystitis due to having a catheter in yesterday. I could go home today but it all depends if I feel up to it! Fingers crossed x
    • Posted

Bless ya, all you need is cystitis. Hope you feel better soon

june x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.