Severe pain in my left hip travelling round to the left side of my bottom

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had this pain for nearly 4 weeks now. Doctor diagnosed me with sciatica. I cannot sleep due to the pain when I lie down or try to turn over in bed . I can barely get out of bed and cannot put any weight on my left foot for at least 10 minutes. Doctor prescribed ibuprofen and co codamol but not helping with pain. Went back and now on Naproxen and Codeine. Hope this will work. Due to start physio next week. This is really getting me down and in tears most days. Any advice would be really helpful or has anyone experienced the same thing?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you going through this. I’ve had pain for eleven months radiating down both leg. Haven’t been able to sit, drive can’t stand long and use a cane for assistance... SMH. I’m a 55yr old healthy women that worked out 3 times a week, don’t eat meat, eat rather healthy and this is what comes my way 😢I’ve done every conservative treatment there is and nothing’s worked the pain has gotten worse after doing 15 sessions of yoga. I’m fed up I’m scheduled to have surgery on Nov. 8th... wish me luck.

To respond to your pain while sleeping, I absolutely can’t turn on my side, but I find comfort after taking a shower and laying flat with one or two pillows behind the knee. I also sleep with a moist heating pad, ulternate with ice, always end the session in ice.

I wish the best for you and I will pray for us both. Let’s fight this curse with everything we got... Feel better 

• Posted

Hi Geniebo, i have had bilateral sciatica since may, i am having an MRI 24th oct so hope to find out what is causing this. What is the cause of yours?

• Posted

HI, I have a herinated disc, narrowing of the nerve canal, spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease...SMH.

i hope uou find out your cause and get the treatment you need, because mine has gotten worse and I did ALL the conservative treatments.

I Pray the conservative treatments work for you. Surgery was the last thing I wanted, but I absolutely cant stay like this my life has stopped.... Good Luck

• Posted

Hi, I know what you are going through and I’m sorry. I had the worst pain of my life with sciatica on my left side. It started out settle thing hit me like nothing I ever felt. The worst pain of my life. I couldn’t stand due to the pain in my calf. I couldn’t take care of my children. The pain was so bad I had to get the steroid shot in my back. None of the medication worked besides that. I still have pain but it’s much better. I went for a deep tissue massage and they helped the pain in my legs. The man gave me the massage recommended something called scraping. He said my muscles was really tight. I found that drinking lots of water and taking magnesium vitamins also helped. Good luck I hope you get better son ❤️
  • Posted

Hi Maggie, i have had sciatica in both legs since May 2018. I am having a MRI 24th Oct so hope to find out what is causing my pain. I am on naproxen 500 mg twice a day and take co codamol once / twice a day. i have had gabapentin which did nothing and cry most days. i have been having physio for months, had several chiro sessions, use a tens machine but, still work. I wonder at times how i manage to work as this is killing me, its soul destroying. I sleep with 2 pillows under my knees and can bearly walk when i wake. You have to keep moving. My buttocks and hamstrings are worse, i get pain all the way to my ankle on my right leg, my right outer hip is now becoming painful too. keep us up dated xx

• Posted

Sciatica in both legs may indicate foraminal stenosis in your spine (narrowing of the foraminal canals that the nerve roots run through...gotta open up that space.). An MRI may be inconclusive; a CT/Myelogram with contrast is the "gold standard" test. Doc found my stenosis at L2/L3. Did a Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF). Immediate and permanent relief, one night in the hospital, no brace, no rehab. Miracle op.

• Posted

HI

Was wondering how long ago did you have the fusion? Have you had any other problems since then?

Im scheduled to have surgery soon, scared to death, they havent determined what surgery I need just yet.

• Posted

March '17. Immediate and total success...except...

I ended up being that one-in-a-million patients who had too much bone growth from the fusion. Neuro went in January '18 to clean out all that extra bone that was impinging on some nerves. Simple laminectomy. Pain free now.

No reason to be scared. I've had the LLIF plus a TLIF from L3 through S1 and two decompressive laminectomies (one after the LLIF and the other earier one to get rid of a bone spur crushing my sciatic nerve root at L4/L5). All have been successful.

I refuse to live in pain so I always do my homework and have very close relationships with my docs. With all the spine hardware plus a left knee and right hip replaced, I'm the TSA's worst nightmare at the airport. Played hockey for 45 years...paying the price...

• Posted

Update.

The pain was so bad today that my husband took me to A&E. After another examination I am told I do not have sciatica. I have Bursitis. Which means my hip and bottom is severely inflamed. I have been given elbow crutches to use to keep the pressure off my left leg. Been given tramadol but not working yet. Still very painful. Has anyone else had this condition?

• Posted

Hi maggie poor you having had such pain. So has it always been bursitis? x

• Posted

Hi Amanda

Apparently so. The pain has eased a lot now as my friend who is a physio treated me. I have another physio session booked for Wednesday so fingers crossed

• Posted

hi Maggie sorry to hear of your pain. l ended up in hospital for 9 days with severe sciatica! After many tests they found l had a prolapsed disc . On my last resort now I'm trying pyshio again but will do all my exercises at home with the pyshio to see if it helps.I have tried everything else!My only other option is an operation which will cost about $20000 austalian money l haven't got. l find that using inza500 twice a day with lyrica is helpful mixed in with endo,targin and paracetamol

it gets me by but still get severe pain about midday but cant really take anything else. It's one of those things where you try to get by with pain killers but it's just not enough. I'll go to bed at night and take my meds late because they make me a bit drowsy hoping I fall asleep. average about 4-5 hrs a night then get up and start again. Sad life but many are probably worse then me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.