Severe pain in upper centre abdomen

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have woken up with a severe pain just below my ribs in the centre of my abdomen. It’s so intense it’s frightening. It started at about 8pm but not enough to bother me so I went to sleep. I have an ice pack on it but the pain comes in waves and I can’t speak or move! Any ideas?? I would go to A&E but not sure I can drive, plus have 2 little ones asleep...!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi you could possible having gallbladder attacks. That how they are. No need to worry you aren't having heart attack. Any nausea or vomiting. Also could be gas pains. When did this start.

• Posted

It started as a mild pain early evening but just ignored it and went to bed. But the waves of pain kept me semi awake until 4am when I woke up shaking with pain, I’ve been sat upright for 2hrs and it seems to have settled but still having waves of it. No nausea or vomiting..
  • Posted

It could be a hiatus hernia or possibly pancreatitis. If you are in the UK phone 111 and explain all your symptoms. Do you have any blood in your poo?
  • Posted

No blood no, it’s exactly like having a labour contraction but higher up.
    • Posted

How are your bowel movements do they affect the pain? Is this the first time this area of your stomach has felt strange or has it ever been tender or felt weird before?
  • Posted

Bowel doesn’t affect it no unfortunately.. it has been painful before a few months ago but only at night, not as severe and went away. I’ve been to the dr now, she said it could be gallstones but gallbladder didn’t feel hard or inflamed so gave me some buscopan instead..
    • Posted

I have had something similar and I am going to get an endoscopy to see if there is an issue. Mine was uncomfortable in that area and I thought it was trapped wind or constipation for ages. But earlier this year I had really bad stomach pains. I felt really bad on and off for a couple of weeks. It cleared up a bit so I just left it, but it has come back again quite badly. I am avoiding eating too much and I am not touching alcohol until I get my scope. If I eat until I am full it hurts, I think I could possibly have a hiatus hernia but I won’t know until until I am scoped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.