Severe pain in upper stomach and lower chest

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I have bouts of pain in my lower chest and upper abdomen, it feels like a burning tight ache and it last all day, I also have burning sensation in my anus and lots of bloating and wind, pls I can feel churning and grinding from my stomach, I have tried just about every pain killer known to man and they make no difference, plus buscopan even steroids, I am in the process of having tests but NHS are so slow, they blame IBS ! First of all they said gallstones but have now ruled that out, its such a debilitating pain and I have to work in this condition which makes life intolerable, just wondered if anyone else has experienced these type of symptoms??

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have experienced symptoms similar to yourself for the last 18 months. I am unable to get a diagnosis, I've had various blood tests, an ultrasound, stool test and am currently waiting to see a gastroenterologist.

My pain is situated in my upper left quadrant, under my ribs. I have lots of gas, belching, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, soft stools and backache.

Tests seem to rule out:

Gallstones

Pancreatic problems

Intestinal inflammation

H pylori

Im at a loss, its depressing sad

• Posted

Possible IBS? Does your pain move around your stomach and change in intensity and type?
    • Posted

Same thing here. However it's mixed with bouts of pancreatitis.

Have they checked for a hiatal hernia or inflammation in the stomach?

That's what mine is.

• Posted

Not yet but im hoping for an upper endoscopy when I see the gastro in november.

My gp seemed to think it was gastritis brought on by ibuprofen use after my c section but im negative for h pylori (blood test)

• Posted

That could be. I can't take any anti inflamatories.

You are on the right track.

Ask to be on the wait list to have your endoscopy moved up.

• Posted

I will, I am anxious to get it done ans hopefully get some Answers!
  • Posted

Hi Richard,

My issues are quite similar to yours. The pain is localized to the upper left quadrant just below the rib cage. The gurgling sounds are endless. My bowel habits are aweful. I have only moved them twice in the past five weeks, and that is with enema treatment. The strangest part is the stool is very flat and mushy. The dizziness and nausea are becoming debilitating. The doctors have no clue what it is. They have ruled out Celiac Disease, IBS, Gastroenteritis, Pancreatitis, Gall Bladder stones, Kidney Stones, Appendicitis, and bowel obstruction . My blood work came back negative for diabetes, but I am severely anemic. I have opted to do research on my own and found that long time smokers, guilty as charged, can have heart troubles that don't necessarily start in the heart. The region of my pain is also where a major artery is located to help the aorta deliver blood to the lower half of the body. I am going for some testing to see if it could be that. If oxygen is not being delivered appropriately to the rest of the organs they can slow down and cause multiple symptoms imitating those of gastric measures. I hope you find out what is wrong, it has been a horrific journey for me.

Jess

• Posted

Hi Richard,

I have the same syptoms so please tell me if you found the cause?

Good luck...

• Posted

Hi Richard

I have a similar type of pain that you are describing. Done several tests and still no cure. None of the Doctors could find the casue of this pain. I experience this pain everyday for about 6 hours for the last 11 years. The only thing i am living my life is through pain killers. Please tell me if u have recovered and how ??

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.