Severe Pain - Ovarian Cyst - please assist

Posted , 6 users are following.

On 19.01.2015 my husband and I had some fish for dinner from a local restaurant. We had intercourse that evening and it was so painful I couldn't continue. The follow morning I had all the symptoms of food poisoning. Despite this I went to work. I had the chills, the body ache, nausea and fever. The only thing I didn't have was a runny tummy. That evening I couldn't sleep from the severe pain in my right side abdomen. Which I thought was quiet strange. I was open every 2hours and I would just take an OTC medication for cramps.

21.01.2015 I went to my GP and he confirmed that it was in fact not food poisoning but rather an ovarian cyst or appendix as the pain was only on my right side. He prescribed anti-inflammatories, pain medication and an antibiotic. Still waking up every 2hours from the pain.

22.01.2015 at 2am I couldn't take the severe pain and my husband rushed me to the ER. They had me on a drip with strong medication. I went for x-rays and blood tests which were clear. The doctor released me at 5am and said I should go later for a sonar to determine if it's an ovarian cyst or appendix.

At 2pm I went for the sonar as I could eventually sleep after the pain medication I received via drip. At 3pm after the sonars the doctor put me on another drip for pain whilst waiting for my results. On the scan they picked up a cyst of 2.9cm x 2.6 cm. what type I don't know as I was not told. The doctor discharged me again with strong medication for pain, inflammatiom and cramps. He also said I should follow up with my gynecologist in a couple of weeks. As soon as I got to the car I started vomiting which lasted for the whole evening. I even took my medication and couldn't keep that in. Today is 25.01.2015 and my condition hasn't improved. I'm in such severe pain that I'm crying most of the time. I have this frequent need to urinate which makes the pain in my right side worst. Since this whole thing happened I have been constipated. The pain is so bad that it's causing nausea. I'm using a heating pad to elevate the pain which doesn't help.

I have to go back to work tomorrow and I don't know how I will be able too.

To give some background I'm 24 and was on Depo-Provera for 4years, went off 01.02.2014. I got my first period 24.12.2015 which lasted for a week, and them was gone for a week and then came back for 3days.

I don't know what to do. Please any advise would be appreciated. I can't take this pain anymore.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Go back to ER and pester them, also your own Dr
    • Posted

Also see your gynaecologist now as two weeks is too long to be like this
  • Posted

Hi Ryelace Your cyst is below 5cm so they usually monitor them with regular ultrasound scans. You can't go on with constant pain-no-one should live like this. Phone doctor or go to A&E now.Take care xx
  • Posted

Cant understand why you have been messed about, from diagnosis of ovarian cyst which all the symptoms were the same a yours i have seen a specialust, went for my post op last week and now awaiting removal of both ovaries, i am 66 so they are no good to me ,this has all happened within 2 months and now awaiting my op date.Dont let them mess you about as you will probably keep getting flare ups.Let me know how you get on
  • Posted

Hi , sounds a lot like the symptons i had several years ago , i also have an ovarian cyst , but so far i have no symptons ,  my problems turned out to be gallstones , i had my gall bladder removed and all the pain went, have you had an ultra sound ??
  • Posted

Hi there

Sorry to hear you are having so much pain. Sounds like you need to get to the gynae as soon as. Are you in the U.S.? Because to be honest in comparison to here in the UK you have been dealt with fairly quickly. Here I have been in and out of my GP for over a year with the same symptoms as yourself, which they tried to pass off as IBS, finally got correctly diagnosed in Dec with ovarian cyst (only got that by paying privately for the test) but because under 5cm I am struggling to get seen quickly despite my pain, my gynae appnt is booked for 23 feb! 3 months afterwards. I have been to A&E 3 times in the last 6 months and get told off every time for going because I'm not dying 😕. I'm dreading my next ovulation on the right side in case I'm vomiting again. so if you can get seen within 2 weeks sounds good to me but you will have to take lots of painkillers in the meantime to get through. It's dreadful and I know how you feel I'm sure they will operate for you asap once you see the gynae xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.