Severe periods on Nexplanon, please help.

Posted , 4 users are following.

On June 22nd 2018, I got the arm implant (nexplanon) a couple weeks later, I got my period on July 7th and I bled for almost 5 months. My period then stopped for about 3 weeks and I started spotting on December 14th, but then my spotting progressively turned into heavy bleeding. My periods are so heavy now and I had severe cramps the other night. I don't know what to do to stop the bleeding. Do I wait in hopes of my period stopping soon? What if my waiting turns into another 5 months of aggravating non-stop bleeding? I feel stuck, I need some advice.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

this was basically what happened to me. it eventually calmed down. but i still got heavy week long periods that were agony. and happened every 4 weeks, plus id spot in between had the implant nearly 2 years. id speak to your doctor about it. i decided in the end that i wasnt for me and had it removed

• Posted

Hi

firstly you need to take that thing out of your arm. i had it nearly 4 years and it made me so ill. constant feeling of dread. spotting. bleeding every month more than 3 weeks. it depletes nutrients and minerals from your body. my advice would be to take it out. maybe get something with less hormone or no hormone. its been a week i've taken it out and i feel slightly better. dont listen to the nurses that say stick with it listen to your own body.

• Posted

its up to her. but i agree with you. it does take a while for your body to adjust. but i gave mine 2 years and yes it got better. but the pain was horrendous. and bleeding was still heavy and long. and i gained weight. had mine removed in august and felt instantly better. i just think some dont react well to hormone based contraceptives.

i do think its a good idea to give it sometime to settle. but by 6 months id have thought it wouldve started to settle by now. if it was going to.

• Posted

I had the implant for the full 3 years and it was awful! I was always exhausted, hungry all the time, very moody, and had a period that would never stop. I tried 3 months of birth control pills with the implant from my doctor who said the pills will help regulate my period. That didn't work for me. I got it removed and now have the Mirena IUD and I have no period at all! Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.