Severe quad weakness & feeling so miserable.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Due to some post-op complications (I had a partial meniscectomy 10 weeks ago) I have severe quad weakness, & despite having physio for 2 months my right leg quads are still so weak and my knee is so unstable. I have two young children & am at the end of my tether as I have lost all my independence & am struggling to cope. The physio doesn't seem to be improving my leg strength, I can't even do a straight leg raise - I sit, try & tense my thigh and try to move my leg up but nothing happens. I am beginning to worry I'll be like this for ever. Has anyone had anything similar, do you have any advice? x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry it's so late, have your symptoms gotten any better? I had a total meniscectomy of my medial meniscus in my right leg two years ago. (Had it done locall, HUGE mistake.) 5 days ago I had a lateral meniscal repair done to my right leg by a surgeon out of town. Although it's a much longer rehab for a repair, I feel like I'm actually recovering faster. My surgeon said "not patting my own back, but hacky seurgons make for much longer recovery.) basically recovery all depends on how well the surgeon does his job in there. 

• Posted

Sorry it's so late, have your symptoms gotten any better? I had a total meniscectomy of my medial meniscus in my right leg two years ago. (Had it done locall, HUGE mistake.) 5 days ago I had a lateral meniscal repair done to my right leg by a surgeon out of town. Although it's a much longer rehab for a repair, I feel like I'm actually recovering faster. My surgeon said "not patting my own back, but hacky seurgons make for much longer recovery.) basically recovery all depends on how well the surgeon does his job in there. After my meniscectomy it took FOREVER for my quads to work again. I didn't do PT after it though. With the repair this time, I'm doing PT and can already do leg raises. My theropast said, the reason they don't work, is because after surgery, your muscles and nerves aren't comunicating. Partially because of the trauma from surgery, and partially because it's a sort of defense mechanism for your body to try and not damage anything, because it has no idea what just happened. They did what is called Russian electro stimulation. Basically, they put two paddles on my quad muscle, and as electrical current traveled through, the muscle invalunteraly (sorry about spelling) tenses. As that happens, you try to tense it as well. It supposedly speeds up the learning/communication process between your muscles and nerves. I have to say it 100% works because after just 4 days I can already do leg raises. The reason your knee feels like it wants to buckle is for sure because you're muscles aren't working well enough to keep all the ligaments tight. So your knee basically is "loose." Maybe see if anyone around you does the Russian stimulation? It took me a month and a half though of working EVERY SINGLE DAY, to get mine working the first time. And by that time it was so weak it took another month just to get it strengthened so I could walk normally.  Hope all is well by now, really wish I could have joined sooner to reply sooner! Sadly I only joined yesterday. If you get this I'm very curious as to how your doing now!

• Posted

Hi, 

I had meniscus surgery in 2015 and my symptoms sound the same as yours. Unfortunately for me, I ended up having femoral mono-neuropathy. Basically, it means nerve damage to the femoral nerve. The femoral nerve goes straight to the quad muscle. My doctor used a tourniquet on my thigh during an arthroscopic procedure. My doctor did not tell me about the tourniquet for 11 months and my knee fell down and out of place. I have had additional 5 surgeries to try and correct this issue as best as it can be corrected. Had I known earlier, I would had only needed probably one additional surgery. I do not want to see this happen to anyone else. If you have any questions, please let me know. You can post on here of send me a message. I hope you are feeling better!         

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.