Severe & Regular Nose Bleeds

Posted , 1 user is following.

My mother is 75 years old and in recent years has started to suffer from severe nosebleeds. Her nose will start bleeding and even though she follows all the correct treatment protocols (lean forward, pinch nose, etc.), it often doesn't stop for several hours. When we ring the doctor, they say to take her to A&E, which we have done on a number of occasions. The doctors in A&E have tried cauterization, and whilst this seems to work short-term, it ultimately doesn't fix the problem. They have also used rapid rhinos, with the same short-term results.

An important factor to note is that I (her son) have been diagnosed with Von Willebrand Disease (VWD). I'm aware that it is hereditary and I assume that she must have it too, even though the doctors here in Northern Ireland don't seem to know what it is and have never tested her for it! (I was diagnosed via blood tests prior to surgery I was getting whilst living in Australia). We have mentioned Von Willebrand Disease to a number of doctors but, after taking note of it, they don't ever test for it or take matters any further. I'm convinced that my mother must have it, and whilst I'm aware that it's not curable, surely there must be some treatment she could undergo to help prevent these regular & prolonged nosebleeds?

Has anyone had any experience of this before? And if so, was there any particular treatment or medication that worked? As you could understand, it is extremely uncomfortable and frustrating for her to be going through this on a regular basis, particularly when it involves staying up all night as a result.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.