SEVERE SHAKES @ LABYRINTHITIS

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I’ve been suffering from shakiness, lack of balance and vertigo for 5 years or something... 

I convinced my self that these symptoms were due to my mental illness (bipolar/BPD) and just tried to ignore it, hoping they’d go away. Years passed and I noticed that they were getting worse. I started to get REALLY bad hangovers from 1 or 2 drinks. I’d also get very faint and shaken up during the day for no reason what so ever. I’d feel my self swaying while stood on the spot and would bump into things often.  Doctors kept putting me through for bloods but everything was coming back as normal.

So a few more years past and my symptoms started to peak. I got the worst case of vertigo and couldn’t walk because of how bad my shakes were. I felt like I couldn’t see straight. Doctors diagnosed the problem as Labyrinthitis and prescribed me tablets for it. They felt like they were working and I could feel the fluid in my ears getting less and less, my symptoms starting to calm down. But it hasnt totally went away.

A few weeks later and the symptoms came back, twice as harsh. So I take some different talblets this time and then the same thing happens again. So I go back, take some different tablets and hope for the best. 

This is now my 4th time taking Labyrinthitus treatment and feel totally at a loss. I have an appointment booked to look at my sinuses but that isn’t till late August... 

Anyone got any suggestions for me ? Would be much appreciated... I’m in a total state. Pshycically and mentally. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Hello, it is a totally life changing disgnosis I find, because it can last short or long term, and I don't think doctors know much about it. A neuro or a dizzy clinic who specialize in vestibular disorders would know better. If you look up vestibluar exercises on YouTube, you might find it helps. Sometimes the meds like SERC, which I had, only make it worse used long term. Amd other meds can cause dizziness too. There are physio therapists that specialize In it too...

• Posted

Thank you! I’ll ask my doctor to refer me. I was going to start these labyrinthitis pills tomorrow but as you’ve told me they can make you worse in the long run, I won’t bother. Thanks for your help! I’ll have a look at these exercises you’ve recommended too smile 
  • Posted

hello dear i think your facing anxiety... i am also facing same thing.. 
  • Posted

Charli.c,

I too have had all the symptoms you are experiencing now. I was diagnosed with Labyrinthitis as well. It's been almost 3 years since diagnosis. I had my sinuses completely cleaned out up along my blood brain line, etc...I was really good and could drive again after about 4 months. I feel anxiety is an integral part of this situation for many reasons...mostly because you are unstable and that's scary!! Mine has started coming back now due to a sinus issue (seasonal allergies) that I let fester too long. Go to your doctor, take over the counter if you can, such as Claritin to reduce fluid in inner ear. A little sugar in the morning helps me and ingesting small healthy snacks keeps my blood sugar good..like a banana so I don't get shaky. I recently got a Prednizone shot which made me feel like "superwoman" but only for a day. Antibiotics straightened me out pretty well along with massage therapy. Whatever you can do to rest well, relax and focus on whatever you are doing hopefully will help you. I am almost 60 and just started a new job and deal with this issue, which causes anxiety. I am just trying to be good to myself and move forward. Best of luck...don't get overwhelmed....one day at a time. Hope my experience can help you.

• Posted

So you had antibiotics and massage therapy and your symptoms went away ? X 
  • Posted

Charli, the fluid in your inner ear may be a direct cause to your balance issue. I did take a round of antibotics for a sinusitis infection and a shot. I was on the mucinex for drainage and now on an antihystimine (butchered the spelling) I seem to be alot more stable now as long as I rest well. Massage Therapy helps me in the relaxation part of this anxiety ridden/ off balance situation and calms it down for me. I hope this clarifies for you a little of my situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.