Severe spasms after reconstructive surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all! I had mpfl reconstruction and chondroplasty with patellar microfracture a week ago. In English that means that I had cartilage removed from behind my kneecap, holes drilled into my kneecap. Also my dr made a graft from my hamstring to rebuild the ligament that keeps my kneecap stabilized. I'm still on 10 mg oxycodone and also got my staples out today. My dr also gave me a prescription for flexeril. I wake up at least four times every night with very painful spasms. They're in my calf, in my thigh, around my kneecap, everywhere. The flexeril doesn't seem to help and according to my dr and the nurses, they're normal. And I'm sure they are, but they're still painful! And the more it spasms, the more it swells. I can't bend it at all because it's so swollen. I'm keeping it iced and elevated and only get up to shower or use the bathroom. Any ideas?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I'm a little surprised the are limiting you such a low doseage. Understanding the difference in protocol for various surgeries but my Dr. Prescribes 5 mg but allows up to 25 mg depending on pain management need. Flexiril is a muscle relaxant and I guess the best way to put it, it either does or doesn't work. Some people its like a whack with a hammer right between the eyes and for others its like eating m and m's. Sounds like you got an awful lot going on and a lot of healing that has to be done. Be patient as a lot of things have to fall into place at proper times. Merry Christmas and best of luck.
    • Posted

My oxycodone dose was just lowered today. I was on 1 to 2 every four to six hours. And one night I had to call the dr and he told me to take a third one. My pain stays under control though just as long as I remember to take the pain pill. I was forgetting before and letting my pain get too bad. But just the spasms are what are hurting now. We'll see how tonight goes. Merry Christmas to you as well.
  • Posted

Poor you ash-cotton, really feeling for you, i had torn cartledge removed and bone filed due to arthritis, that was years ago now, still feels really odd, but not painful, just really numb when i touch it esecially with the other leg, it almost feels like its not mine..its above the knee and below the knee anyhow i have lots of muscle spasms..because of fibromyalgia, many of us do, i take

double the recommded dosage of magnesium, also little salt tablets under my tongue up to 6 oer day when required, all over

the counter meds..also take mutton bird oil-(shearwater birds)

for my joints..its very concentrated they are birds that eat krill, I am in Australia where its made(google them) you can actually see the colour of the oil in the capsule very orange they replace

taking 6 fish oil tablets per day....hooe you find some help, be

blessed and have a lovely Christmastime ash-citton😍😍😍

• Posted

Poor you ash-cotton, really feeling for you, i had torn cartledge removed and bone filed due to arthritis, that was years ago now, still feels really odd, but not painful, just really numb when i touch it esecially with the other leg, it almost feels like its not mine..its above the knee and below the knee anyhow i have lots of muscle spasms..because of fibromyalgia, many of us do, i take

double the recommded dosage of magnesium, also little salt tablets under my tongue up to 6 oer day when required, all over

the counter meds..also take mutton bird oil-(shearwater birds)

for my joints..its very concentrated they are birds that eat krill, I am in Australia where its made(google them) you can actually see the colour of the oil in the capsule very orange they replace

taking 6 fish oil tablets per day....hooe you find some help, be

blessed and have a lovely Christmastime ash-citton😍😍😍

• Posted

Ooops, i went to type something else but i posted twice..sorry...

valium is great if you have really bad muscle spasms too..its prescription only ive had to have it a couple of times over the years...doctors dont really like you to have them because it

can be addictive..but it really helps relax the muscles..thats what it is for really...😘

• Posted

I'll definitely have to give some of that a try! I take shark cartilage, fish oil, and glucosamine. I had to stop all the supplements before surgery and can't resume them until dr gives me the ok. I miss my supplements and feel the difference when I don't take them! My husband and whole family believe in the healing power of natural foods! I do wish the dr gave me valium for the spasms. I was prescribed it after dental surgery a few years ago and slept so good on it! I've been a week now and I'm craving a full night's rest. I just started the flexeril today so maybe it just needs time to build up. This was the most invasive that they can do without a knee replacement so I hope I heal and strengthen well! Merry Christmas and I'll update to let everyone know how it goes.

• Posted

Flexiril is Definately a stand alone drug that doesn't build up in the system. It should start working in less than an hour and last 4-6. Personally, valium is on my bad crap list. 48 hrs on that stuff and I can have almost a 180 personality change. I can turn from what I think is a nice guy to an absolute terror. I haven't taken it for 35-40 years because of that. On the other hand I had a business acquaintance that washed it down with martinis and didn't even phase him. We are all so different.
    • Posted

I take Glocosamide too..actually i take double the recommended dose of almost all supplements except the mutton bird oil...yes valium is very good...its a wonder the dr doesnt prescribe it for you

considering its for muscle spasms..actually botok injections are anazing too they are given to people that have spinabifita who

cramp up...maybe you could try to insist..just until it eazes...😚

• Posted

Last year, when I had my primary TKR - I was in so much pain the GP changed the prescription to 8 oxycodone per day (2 x 5mg 4 times a day) coupled with 2 x paracetamol at the same time, with 1 x codeine, & it got me through the main hell - until it was discovered it was misaligned!! This year I had the revision, that was 8 weeks ago, & am now on nothing except the odd paracetemol when I overdo things - without the pain killers 1st time around, I would have sunk very low. If you need them, take them. Ask for an increase.
    • Posted

I only woke up once with spasms last night, and it was painful enough to wake me, however not so painful I woke up screaming. So it seems that the flexeril is going to help me. My dr wrote my third prescription for percocet when I saw him yesterday even though he knows I just picked up the second one over the weekend. When I called the nurse told me the 30 are supposed to last a week, even right out of surgery. Thankfully my dr knows that's not realistic when you are taking at least six and up to 12 a day (according to instructions on the first bottle I got.) The second bottle read 1 every six hours as needed, but my dr told me if I get into a bind, it's ok to take an extra one. I live in Alabama and laws on narcotic pain meds have really cracked down. Thankfully my dr knows how painful the surgery was, and how long recovery will be. He's not going to let me suffer. Thankfully he believes in giving his patients pain relief so they have less stress and can heal faster. I got my staples out yesterday and I'll be in my brace for the next four weeks. I finally get to start physical therapy next week. I've regretted having this procedure some days, but as I'm getting stronger I feel better.
    • Posted

Good for you and your dr. Sounds like you got a common sense guy. I go to a university medical school because of this rare tumor and the original necessity of needing an orthopedic oncologist. I have a bright young professor for a surgeon. Hospital policy says only 4 months post surgery for opiates and then you have to go to your primary care doc. My surgeon says to just tell his over protective staff to call him. He knows I'm not out peddeling them on the street.
    • Posted

Oh wow! Only 10 mg four times a day is a pretty low dose. I was prescribed more than that for the first few days, and I was still in excruciating pain! And I know a TKR has to be more painful than the surgery I got. But as long as it worked and got you through those first days when pain is the worst, that's great. How long did you have to take pain meds after surgery? (Including over the counter like ibuprofen or tylenol?)
    • Posted

Four months is a long time. I was pretty surprised that I got another prescription yesterday, since my surgery was a week ago. I didn't ask for it, I only asked for a muscle relaxer. I really wanted to be off pain pills by now, but my pain isn't gone to a point that I can manage it only with something over the counter. And what do you mean by peddling them on the street? Are you talking about the staff at your dr office?
    • Posted

I'm a rather rare case in as much as I've had so many surgeries and a serious staph that called for removal of the prosthesis and then replacement 4 months later. My leg had atrophied so badly I could barely put touch level pressure on it without being in screaming level pain plus the weakness of a new born kitten. As far as the selling on the street comment. University medical center's in metro areas are week aware of the lengths patients will go to obtaining drugs and then reselling them on the street. A $20 bottle of hydrocodone (90 pills) can be sold on the street for $10 a pill. Oxycontin, which I refuse to take, is the worst. Kids steal them out of parents, grandparents medicine chests and sell them to friend. Some of the drugs if chewed instead of swallowed can create a real high. Junkies crush them and in some cases cut them with other substances and really create a dangerous situation. That's why the feds are tightening the loop on distribution. Until last Oct a lot of pain meds could be called in by Dr's office. Now you physically have to make a personal appearance and sign for the script and hand carry to the pharmacy. Some have gotten angry over the red tape but as far as I'm concerned I dont have a problem with it. Not much more dangerous than a controlled substance in the hands of an individual out of control. In my 13 years of fighting this leg problem have I ever been told no to proper pain management.
    • Posted

For the 1st TKR (the misaligned one) - I took it for around 4 months, then weaned myself down. This time around, I am already off them at 8 weeks, so hopefully, this one is in correctly! I still take over the counter painkillers, but only when I have overdone it (like today - I actually worked!!).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.