Severe Stomach pain that comes in waves

Posted , 5 users are following.

Where to start....

For the past 5 years or so I've been getting very severe Stomach pains that come in waves. They come every couple minutes, last for about 10 seconds and repeat for several hours. It generally starts out very mild and then progresses to severe pain over the course of about 24 hours before passing. I've been to several doctor's and have countless ER visits and hospitalisations. I've been told many different things but most doctor's seem to think I have some variation of Crohn's but it was never confirmed because of my symptoms. It is clear I have some type of auto-immune disease in my gut but after all these doctor visits and scouring online forums, I cannot find anyone with similar symptoms.

I'm also aware that a solution to a disease like Crohn's are drugs such as humira... unfortunately I cannot preform my job while taking such drugs. The only relief I get is taking Percocet when I feel pain coming on but it's not a great solution.

Any help or insight is appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ngpappalardo

If you think it may be Crohns i suggest you change your diet to gluten free, lactose free, or dairy free (try lactose free first) wheat free, caffeine free and no acidic drinks or spicey foods. Keep a food diary and eliminate any foods that appear to cause your stomach pain....after you have tried the above for 2 weeks to a month and your pain has abated start taking probiotic capsules to put good bacteria into your gut...

• Posted

Hi Mary, Thanks for the suggestions...

I've never had a problem with lactose in the past but I do avoid it as best possible. I've been seeing a holistic doctor for the past few years and he recommended the same; no wheat no dairy and taking a series of probiotics and other supplements. I do have trouble avoiding wheat as most of my meals are provided for me and I don't always have the option to pick and choose (i.e. no gluten). My biggest problem is, I have found absolutely no consistentcy with certain foods causing me problems.

• Posted

Have you tried taking aloe vera gel/juice? Aloe Vera has shown to be very useful a good GI health.
  • Posted

Lol. That was meant to read Aloe Vera has been shown to be very good for a healthy GI health.
    • Posted

I like this suggestion and I have used 100% aloe vera both orally and via enema (which is not pleasent but I was desperate). I do get some relief from it but not enough for me to really feel better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.