Severe syatic pain flair ups happening more often.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a  36 yr old female with a major scatica issue.  I've had the issue the last 4-5 years. Usually I just take some time off work some advil ice and heat and in a week or so I'm good 

Over the last year the flair ups are coming more often lasting longer and are more intense. I visited my family Doctor 6 months ago he took some x-rays said he couldn't see any damage prescribed me flexeral and toredol which seemed to help, until this last time nothing is helping.. I took the pills for 2 weeks no change, constant pain down my right leg my butt to the middle of calve. Sitting is not an option to too painful unable to sleep and almost completely unable to care for my daughter or husband. I worked at the same job for 16 years a desk job which I'm sure is the problem. 

is it to to the doctor I was prescribed naproxen did nothing really for the pain what did manage to upset my stomach a lot,during this visit my family doctor was away so I've met with his substitute who mentioned possibly but this was periformis syndrome and suggested maybe some physio therapy or a chiropractor.  I told the chiropractor I've not been going for three weeks getting regular adjustments ice laser therapy and I'm also going to try acupuncture for the first time.

after the first visit in assessment with a chiropractor he assured me that this was definitely not piriformis syndrome and its for sure a sciatic nerve problem. The chiropractor auggested seeing my Dr again as the meds aren't helping. Back to my family Dr I go good thing he's back from vacation I explain it all he prescribes gabapentin 300 mg a day week one 600 mg week 2 900 mg week 3.

I just really want to know if any of this makes sense am I on the right track will I ever be able to sit comfortably again is acupuncture worth the try.

Help feeling desprate spend more time with my ice pack than my family

Ty

Christa

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

christa 1077.  Acupuncture should work for this. Give it a try. Sitting for a long time as you have done, probably caused it. It might sound silly but try this: prop the leg up on a chair, then press down on that pain so it becomes more intense. Try this several times as you will be increasing the pain so that when you stand up again it will be less. Do try acupuncture. I would think a little heat would help more than the ice. Try the exercise.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi christina

You MUST go for a MRI scan!!! Then you will be sure its a saciata or not, but i am very pisitive it is a saciata and you may have a slip disc or bulgging!!!

Dont waste time!! 

• Posted

christa I agree its an excellent idea to ask for an MRI. It will show up your sciatic nerve endings and surroundings. Otherwise its like working in the dark and you might have more harm done. With an MRI they can see everything that is wrong and its totally painless procedure. Don't procrastinate. At your age you need to get things moving and not let time pass with such pain. Don't be put off with a NO as these cost money and some doctors don't want to involve patients in expensive controls. Its the best thing to find out what is wrong. If you can't get a quick appointment for one I would suggest acupuncture as it worked for me. That is if you are not worried about being a pin cushion. I can vouch it works for low back pain and sciatica. Give it a go.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone I will give it a go. Will also be asking Dr for the MRI. Will be back with the progress. 
  • Posted

Deffo as others have suggested demand an MRI SCAN.

My problems and subsequent operations would never have happened without them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.