Severe symptoms, no answers

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I dont know what forum to choose since she has no formal diagnosis.  I am posting on behalf of my mother who has been sick for over 4 years and no doctor has been able to properly diagnose her.  Her symptoms are uncontrolled and she seems to be getting worse and worse.  She is 65 yrs old and here are a list of current symptoms:

Severe hot flashes

Shakes

Profuse sweating & chills

Headaches

Burning pain across whole body and at times lasting for hours, pain is excruciating

Low energy after activity, she becomes weak and short of breath, can only walk short distances

Stomach aches and nausea

She has had the following tests done:

Cat scan of abdomen - negative

Nuclear medicine xrays - negative

Multiple blood work - came back abnormal with excessive adrenalin in blood

The only thing that seems to help a little bit is eating at least every 2 hours or less.  She will eat until she starts feeling better and the more she eats, the better she feels but only for a short period of time.  She tends to feel the best late afternoon, into the evening.

She has an excellent doctor who is trying to help but unfortunately he has run out of ideas on how to treat her.  She has tried many different medications including ketamine treatments.  Some of the meds have worked for a while but then they eventually stop working.

Each day her symptoms are different.

PLEASE if anyone can help, we are in desperate need of direction/help.

Thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Meghan. I am sure you are very worried for your Mother and I do sympathise. The symptoms you describe don't really match the typical symptoms of Type 2 diabetes except the fatigue. But fatigue can be so many things. I can only suggest that she goes back to the Drs for more tests. They really are the only people who can do the diagnosis. It is frustrating. It took 2 years for a GP to agree to give me an abdominal scan despite complaints of discomfort particularly at ovulation. When they did they found a fibroid so massive I had no choice but to have a total abdominal hysterectomy. I often wondered had they checked 2 years before I may have been able to treat it and never had the major op. Unfortunately we are in their hands. You can ask to see a different GP or even change practice otherwise just keep going. Eventually someone will pick up on what is wrong. I could speculate about your Mum's symptoms but that would be wrong. A Dr needs to do this. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hello meghan..

I agree with sally 66 in that is doesn't sound like the typical symptoms of diabetes. Although I must admit to having many of those symptoms (as a diabetic) myself for almost a year.

I wont go through my whole story, but my Doctor was unable diagnose my condition. However I was able to find the answers for myself. I'm not saying my doctor was bad, but sometimes they just don't know what you have & can also be very proud when a patient makes suggestions.

In my case it was adrenal issues, which led to heart problems & angina like symptoms, so I was out of breath with the littlest effort & was put on GNT. Hot and cold sweats, the shakes, erratic heart beats & more. It even affected my thyroid. Yeah I had many tests which showed up many things.

Excessive adrenalin in the blood can be symptomatic of adrenal issues & linked to high cortisol (the stress hormone) levels. This can lead to mutiple problems which can confuse the doctors.

I cannot advise you as what you should do, as most of us don't like to go against our GPs advice. Though I do believe you should look into the adreanal angle. It wont hurt.

I sorted mine by completely by changing my diet & using supplements to restore my adreanal balance. It took some time & a little trial & error, but it worked.

I was on about five different medications from my GP which had horrendous side effects. I'm not taking anything now except insulin. Oh yea, i've been a type 1 diabetic for 34 yrs. All my symptoms are gone.

All the best and good luck..

• Posted

Thank you very much!! This is all helpful. While we will not stop seeking help from professionals, we wanted to see who out there may have experienced similar symptoms and if they could direct down a new path.

Meghan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.