Severe Vaginal Tingling/Itching Help! On HRT

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been menopausal for 1 year. I have tried several methods of HRT. I am currently on 100 mg Prometrium and 2 mg Estradial.  I just started this a week ago. I have one ovary and I do have my uterus. I have severe vaginal dryness still. Every time I get aroused, wipe after using the bathroom, or even towel off or even touch the vaginal area it itches and tingles soooo bad that it gives me a panic attack. It is not an infection as there is zero smell and I have been checked. It is weird because it almost feels good like I am getting aroused.  I tried the Estrace cream and I noticed it causes itching but it isn't something in the Estrace because the pills do it too. Does anyone know if it is a lack of Estrogen? A lack of something else? I cannot take it anymore. It is worse at night. It feels almost like when you go out in the snow or get very cold and then come into a warm house and everything starts to tingle. Is it the nerves waking up after being dead so long? It is so nerve wracking! I have tried putting coconut oil there and it doesn't help and just wiping it on causes it to itch severely. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Other symptoms I have is digestive issues, bloating, depression, cysts on my ovary that is left, fluid retention. I noticed last night as soon as I took the hormones that itching and tingling came on worse. Tonight I am going to take the Estradial first and wait a half hour and then the Prometrium to see if I can tell which one it is.  

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Did you get sorted out I've got very bad itching around pubic area tried creams still the same worce at night

• Posted

Mine is finally almost completely gone. I am on Estrogel, compounded progesterone, and compounded testosterone but I think for me this horrid itching was vaginal atrophy. Even though I had been on estrogen pills or the gel and had used Estrace off and on I wasn't consistent. I looked down there one day and it looked red,, labia were almost gone, a bad smell, and severe dryness. I decided to start Estrace all over again but now I do not miss using it. The smell went away. The itching went away. The dryness is almost completely gone and since using Estrace my libido has gone up. I use 1\2 to 3\4 gram 3 times a week for maintenance. When I first started Estrace I used a lot more then went to maintenance. At first it itched horrid when I put the Estrace on. Now it doesn't itch. I heard Estrace or Premarin are best for atrophy. Vagifem isn't best. I think Vagifem and the Estring are ok for maintenance but not for healing the tissue to begin with. For healing the tissue you gotta use like 1 to 2 grams of Estrace daily for a few weeks then drop it to 1 to 3 grams weekly.

• Posted

I used to get vaginal itching before menopause for years, it was awful and it effected my relationship with my husband very badly.  When I became menopausal it got better. Then I developed vaginal atrophy and dryness.  My Doctor has given me Estrace which every time I use it it gives me very bad itching.  I have read this is the side effect of this cream; How did you deal with itching from Estrace?  It is unbreakable.

If I stop using it the atrophy will bother me if I use Estrace, it causes itching.  is there anything that I can use to stop the itching from Estrace?

Thank you, 

• Posted

I am not on HRT but I have this itching uncontrollably. It is enough to drive you completely insane and at first you think do I have an STD,  oh that’s right, it is not an STD, because I’m not sexually active, because menopause has killed my sex drive!  I never imagined all this crazy stuff would go on with menopause. I am post menopause by only two weeks, have gone a full year without my period.  But I swear to God the crazy symptoms started right out of the gate like I mean days into my full year without my period.  However at this Insein itching has gone on for a very long time. I have looked into this and I believe it is Vaginal Atrophy, due to the decrease in estrogen it thins out the vaginal walls and skin and causes all these problems. I need to ask my gynecologist for a solution as I read like you, that coconut oil works but I haven’t used that yet.  One thing that does work is tea tree essential oil, I just put several drops on my fingers and put it on the affected area. But then as you said in the night I don’t know why it itches so much. I’m assuming because its such a moist area it gets agitated.  However the hot flashes happened at night so it could be the fluctuation hormones, basically a crapshoot. Which seems to be a contradiction it’s moist down there but it’s actually dry, what a joke. Somebody needs to write a serious hand  Book/manual on menopause.  I know Dr Christianne Northrup has a book out there, I need to get it out and read it. I am like you as well, almost every symptom of menopause. Yesterday I had a pretty good day and this morning I woke up and feel like crying. I do pray a lot and I do other things to help but it is still so difficult.  It mentions changing laundry detergent and not using drying sheets in the dryer  on webMD.  I know there’s a laundry detergent for babies called Dreft/Draft?  I am going to start using that or detergent that is scent free or for sensitive skin.  I am wondering if with the decrease in estrogen and sugar intake if that has an effect. I know they said the pain is worse when progesterone is decreased and sugar intake is increased. I always knew that was the case with estrogen but didn’t know it was with progesterone as well. I also have put white vinegar on the vulva area in the shower.  It really is so concerning and humiliating the issues we go through during menopause, very disheartening. I know that Dr. Christian Northrup talks about this being a time of awakening and that we are goddesses, I am not feeling much like  A goddess, more like dog sh**.  I know your post is a-year-old however I am experiencing this terribly.  I don’t understand these women that allegedly, and I scream allegedly, just breeze through menopause, actually I think they’re lying, it’s not possible, how could it possibly be possible. Grrrrrr!  Blessings to everyone, we will get through this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.