Severe vitamin D deficiency

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, i just got diagnosed with a severe vitamin D deficiency (6ng/ml) following numb patches on my body, a weak arm and leg and severe dizziness/balance issues. I'm now on 20,000 iu a day. Does anyone have any experience with this? How long before I get better? My elbows ache and I'm constantly sleepy sad I'm only 22 feel like an old woman 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You can expect to wait at least three months. You are pretty low so could be longer. You can get vit D from the sun, if there is any at the moment, you must not wear sun screen though. Also a few foods do give vit D which may help a little, eg mushrooms, oily fish, cheese, egg yolks, beef liver......
    • Posted

Thanks so much! I feel a little better already, the balance issues have gone away. I've heard a lot of people say it can take up to 6 months for weakness to go away!

• Posted

It does depend on whether the cause of the symptoms is really the low vit D or whether the low vit D is associated with an illness, it is very common alongside some autoimmune disorders. My husband had an even lower vit D level - and felt fine! The only thing that changed was his BP - which had been raised and fell once his vit D was brought up to somehting more acceptable (vit D deficiency can lead to raised BP). 

As ptolemy says, it can take a few months - but I also know a couple of people whose aches and pains went within a relatively short time. One had a good vit D level at the end of the treatment and was fine for a few months and then the symptoms returned - lo and behold, her vit D level was in its boots again! A second course of high dose vit D brought it back up and she has been fine since - but takes 2,000 IU a day all the time now. 

• Posted

Thanks! Oh yeah, i've been checked for other illnesses, i'm fine. It's definitely the vitamin D 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.