Severely Anxious about Mild Atherosclerosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been a suffer of GAD most of my 42 years. I also suffer from ocular migraines occasionally. Last year I had a few episodes so I decided to see a neurologist. They did a Brain MRI and CT's of my head and neck with and with out contrast, showing all the arteries. The report came back that I had two pineal gland cysts which do not concern me much. I had very minor low lying tonsils, 5mm below the foramen magnum, which concerns me some. But the worst was the CT report saying that I had "Mild calcified atherosclerosis of the cavernous right internal carotid artery". This is what has me freaking out. I didn't think about these questions until later so I didn't get a chance to ask the neurologist yet.

1. Is having mild calcified atherosclerosis normal for a lower 40 year old man?
  2. If it is not normal is it possible to live heart attack and stroke free until life expectancy and beyond?
  3. With diet, exercise, BP control, etc, can this be completely halted?
  4. I have read conflicting information about the ability to reverse plaque from arteries without surgery, what is the truth?
  5. Is it possible that it was a mistake by the person who wrote the report? CTs seem to be very grainy and seems possible to me that a misc blip could be mistaken for plaque. Of course I cannot assume this.
  6. Anyone else have low lying tonsils that have not moved? He thinks it might be congenital.
  7. Anyone else have pineal cysts that have never gotten bigger? He also thinks this is congenital.
  8. Is it possible to make it to 85?

I am hoping for people to reassure me that it is not uncommon to have some mild plaque for a man in their 40's. I went through a period of about 7 years in my 30's when I was obese. I was a rail before this time and am now at a relatively healthy weight. It seems quite possible this occurred during this time. I am on BP meds and 81mg aspirin, and exercising as much as possible.

Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

sorry you are worried about this. About half the population have cholesterol deposits in their arteries by the age of 40. it’s just that most people are not aware. It’s better that you are aware so you can take steps to slow or to stop this Your family history heredity plays a role in that. Did your doctor recommend you take a Statin medication?

several of your questions would be best answered by a doctor. I think it would be a good idea for you to visit a cardiovascular doctor to discuss all of this with., And get your questions answered. take all of your test results with you or print them off.

You are definitely on the right track with taking the daily aspirin, blood pressure medication, eating healthy and getting exercise. living a healthy lifestyle has the potential of slowing or possibly even halting the plaque buildup. .

I also have mild plaque buildup in my left carotid artery and I just have a carotid ultrasound done every year to check it.

You would feel a lot better if you got your questions answered. but you definitely have time to do something about this because it’s just mild at this point. Take care and everything will work out!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. All the neurologist told me was the standard; eat healthy, exercise, lose weight, etc. along with taking the baby aspirin. I get yearly physicals along with blood work and I have never had high LDL as far as I can remember. I did have high triglycerides for a short time a long time ago.

I do have a family history of stroke but that doesn't seem to come around until late 70's-80's.

I have an appointment to talk with the doc but cant get in for a couple of weeks and this has been grinding on my mind, worried sick I am going to stroke out before retirement.

• Posted

you are young enough to truly make a difference. Don’t think about 20 years from now, think about the here and now and what you can do to reverse this. All the what if questions are basically useless, doesn’t help and just create more anxiety. Nobody knows the future because it doesn’t exist now. The only thing that is here is today.

Look if this as an opportunity instead of an obstacle. when you see an opportunity you can make good decisions such as taking care of your health. Once you make that decision, you can let go and live your life. Your plan is in place at that time. Then when you get rechecked, you may just find that the situation has improved. One step at a time! 65 is a long way off and you can make so many great improvements before then! stay positive.

• Posted

not sure if you're still on here but yes calcium in your 40's is not great. it usually shows up later in life because it's only generated after the plague has been sitting there for a long time. it doesn't mean you're destine to have a heart attack but rather increases to risk of having one. these calcified plaques cannot be removed unfortunately but you can do some life style changes to slow down the disease process. good luck pal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.