Severely tense throat muscles and choking sensation please help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

It started in June of this year. I had for 3-4 months very bad pain in my right temple and went to the dr who found an inflammation in my outer ear canal. Very unexpected. I came back after a week as I didnt get any better and also mentioned the pain is in my sinuses not just my temple and ear and i'd also had some pain in my jaw on the right side. The dr guessed it was sinusitis (even though my tests were normal) and prescribed me antibiotics. While on antibiotics got one of the worst headaches i've ever experienced but it felt like migraine. I also started experiencing tension/choking sensation in my throat. I got very scared the antibiotic pills were causing some mild allergic reaction due to the tension in my throat even though I took the same antibiotic 2 years prior due to tonsillitis and had no side effects. I called the health centre and got to speak to another dr as mine was away and he told me my tests are normal so I shouldn't be on antibiotics therefore I could stop taking it so I did.

The problems with my throat vanished but came back mildly 1-2 months ago. The last week they've been horrible. It started again with temple headache. It started 1 week ago with a headache that I assumed was my regular tension headache. In the evening that day it struck me really hard and I had to lie down, painkillers did not help. My ear and jaw hurt as well on the right side. The next day my head was better but my throat really tense. I called the health centre and got an appointment in early January. There is no pain, sometimes it can burn or feel tingly for a short while but the majority of the time it just feels tense but occasionally there's this weird... fluttering.

Its bothering me a lot as it feels like it gets more constant for everyday instead of coming and going it's there constantly now. I've thought it could be acid reflux since I get that but this tends to feel better when I lie down which is opposite toacid reflux. The tensiongoes around my throat like I have a scarf tied tightly around my neck, other times there's just a pressure at the front of my throat like i have a weight on it and a lump inside. It shoots down my collarbones. I've only ever experienced collarbone-pressure once before, that was when I had pulled a shoulder. Turning my head makes the feeling worse. Laughing makes it worse. I have a lot of mucus which i've had for months, at least since June but I think longer. The mucus seems to be dripping from my sinuses and it's clear in color. I have no trouble swallowing but it can feel uncomfortable at times. Please help me with what I can do for this.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

i get the same muscle tensionDr says it's stress. i get foggy and i'm not connected to my surroundings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.