SevereReflux, help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been suffering from severe reflux and abdominal distention since June. I have tried more medications than I can count and have been through a ton of tests but haven't found any answers. Any suggestions on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.*

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry that you're going through tough times. Some people swear by low carb diet. Maybe it would help. I don't know about your diet but I heard carbs can take longer to digest hence it would cause a reflux. These tips might help.

• Your last meal should be at 7 pm
    • sleep on the wedge
    • excercise and relax

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

A lot of people have been taking probiotics in recent years, however new science says that if the probiotics end up in the small intestine, they can cause bloating. Apparently, the doses have gotten really high and that could be the real issue. I recommend organic probiotic yogurt to balance your bacteria. If I get bloating, I take 3 doses of pepto bismol, 1 dose every 2 hours. That will kill off the bad bacteria so you can start fresh. The effects are quite dramatic.

Also, add organic extra virgin olive oil to your diet. 1 teaspoon every waking hour for 3 days, then every 3 hours from then on. The only side effect is that it also lowers bad cholesterol LDL and protects your heart.

Acid reflux is usually due to a weak esophageal sphincter. To strengthen it, drink 8 to 10 oz of carbonated water. Then hold down the burp for 5 minutes. It will be uncomfortable at first but will get easier. Do this 5 times a day, 5 minutes, then release the burp slowly. It takes a little practice. Every week add 5 minutes to your sessions. on week 4 you can drop to 4 sessions per day, 20 minutes each. Don't try to do other things during these sessions, since it requires some concentration to hold down the burp.

I have helped many people to get over acid reflux using this method. Keep me posted to your progress.

One more thing: Recent studies have found that using acid blockers actually damages the stomach lining and results in worse acid production. So try to wean off these meds and only use olive oil and regular antacids. John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.