Sex after Ablation or Hysterectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have fibroid tumours (3) the accumulated size of a 4.5 fetus.  My GP initially started offering ablation a couple years ago.  And now he and my new Gyno are offering hysterectomy.  

Nowhere can I find info on what sex is like after these proceedures.  I get a visual of a burnt uterus, like burnt toast.  Will I be able to get wet?  Will I be able to orgasm?  I can't find any info.  I refuse to let sex be one sided for pleasure.  

What about sex after hysterectomy?  Is it pleasurable?  Obviously I won't get wet.  How hard is it to orgasm?  What % of women post hysterectomy lose their ability to orgasm?  What % can still orgasm years later? Can he feel my organs during sex?  I have scar tissue from Endometriosis on my organs.  Is he going to be able to feel that?  How frequent is Female Sexual Disfunction?  

Again, I want information to better make the right choice.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Also, I found out through Google that the uterus must be a certain shape for ablation to be effective.  My fibroids have distorted the shape of my uterus severely.  By the time this was offered to me, I don't think it would have been an effective option.  I have also read articles that said fibroids that are not too big can be controlled with ablation.  How big is too big?  

• Posted

I have had an ablation in 2007 and a TAH leaving ovaries in  Oct 2015.  I can report i get wet still, enjoy sex still.  An ablation is a quick procedure that removes the lining of the womb i had mine before fibroids as i had a thicked womb lining that was causing heavy bleeding and anemia.  It worked so well i only new i had fibroids when when my womb and fribroids were huge and cause alot of pain and bladders problems.  I am well shot of my reproductive organs as my cervix decided to prolapse, so i had no intimate sex life for 4 months before surgery.An ablation is great if you have no or small fibroids to treat heavy bleeding but its more difficult to do sucsessfuly when fibriods are in the way.  I had the Novasure when it was new and it microwaves your lining away left me no damage at all and had lovely pain free periods for a few years.  Hysteretomy is a big op, you need time to recover especially if like me you have a large open insision,  I am 44 and i still fell sexy and i felt much stronger when i had recovered from the op, i felt more womenly in fact i felt empowerd that igot my sex life back and health.  Good Luck there is life after x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.