Sex after prolapse surgery.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have lived with a uterine proplase for nearly 20 years now, and although in itself it doesn't affect my life too much, my husband and I haven't been able to have sex for quite a while, probably about four years. When we did try again about a year ago it resulted in quite serious bleeding on my part. I would not be bothered about the surgery if it where not for my husband. He has never said anything, or commented/complained in any way (obviously he knows about my prolapse) but I am only 55 (he is 58) and I feel it is unfair to never be able to have sex again. (My sex drive is practically non-existant, I don't know if this is because of the proplapse, my age, or another reason.) So my question is, will surgery be a fix for this? Will I be able to have sex again with my husand and not be a) in pain and b) bleeding heavily afterwards? I know I said my sex drive was non existant, but I really feel I would like to have it back lol! Any thoughts would be helpful, especially those who have had surgery. Thanks.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you been to see your doctor about this bleeding? I had the same problem, I saw my GP who referred me back to my consultant. He cauterised the area that was causing the bleeding and it worked. Like you I bled when I had intercourse but this painless procedure sorted it out once and for all.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Matron. No I have not seen my doctor recently. I seem to remember the consultant saying that I had erosion of the cervix a few years ago though and am wondering if this is a contributing factor?
    • Posted

If you have an erosion jacqueline you will have pain. If I were you I'd go and see my doctor.
    • Posted

Thanks. I guess I know I need to do this. I just need the motivation.  
    • Posted

I had decided to go through with the prolapse surgery at the beginning of the year. I even went for the premed test ... bloods etc. But the nurse/doctor/consultant I spoke to was so negative I was totally put off! I know there are risks with every procedure but she gave me a huge list of problems,  possible risks etc. But when I asked her for precentages she said, 'well it doesn't really matter, I could say one in ten thousand, but if youare the one it won't matter!' I absolutely got the feeling she was trying to put me off and although I am not normally overly dramatic, it certainly worked. This is such a difficult decision!
    • Posted

How unprofessional of the staff. Of course there are risks to ever operation but there are far more positives, and that also means prolapse surgery. I can vouch for that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.