Sex after surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 4 weeks post op posterior repair. I have been told it is 6 weeks after op before me & hubby can sex. Surely it goes on how well enough you feel in yourself. It's driving me mad not being able to.Has anyone else had intercourse before the 6 weeks?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

The reason you are told to wait at least 6 weeks is to give the internal sutures to heal. I have known 2 ladies have intercourse before the 6 weeks and they both ended back in hospital and needed further surgery. I can assure you the surgeons concerned read them the riot act because they had been so foolish and not listened to the advice.
    • Posted

Thanks Matron, I best not try then. I just thought if the doctors etc can give you examinations before the 6 weeks that it would be okay. The infection I had has cleared up so I just wondered that was all.
  • Posted

Hi judia u must take the consultants advice , I'm 6 weeks post op I had my 6 week check from aving p@a repair only to find the consultant had to remove quite a few stitches that hadn't dissolved,
    • Posted

Hi Joan, I won't be tying until the 6 weeks. As for a 6 week check up, I'm not having one. My consultant told me the internal stitches will take upto 4 months to dissolve.
  • Posted

I was told NOTHING goes up there for 6 weeks.  I'd err on the side of caution - you really don't want to risk doing damage if things haven't quite healed enough.
    • Posted

Hi Chris, no I won't be trying now. Although it is driving me mad.
  • Posted

i would say do it when u feel ready xx
    • Posted

listen to matron she knows ... i would defo wait now she said x
    • Posted

Hi Jassy, I am listening to matron and yes she definitely knows best.
  • Posted

Hey Judia

i was ready to try and have sex after 3 weeks! Or so I thought..... Oh my god it was agony!! I thought I was being ripped apart!! 

We tried again at 5 weeks and although it didn't hurt at all, I was very tense and anxious that it would hurt.

i am 7 weeks now and things are fine. No pain or anything.

on my discharge letter it actually said sexual intercourse should be attempted before the 6 week check up so that if there were any issues, then these could be discussed with the doctor. 

Probably safest to to wait as others have said, I was just too eager to give it a go!!

Lorraine

• Posted

It would help if more information was given to ladies prior to discharge from hospital and a full explanation as to why you have to wait as well. Not only this subject but lifting, driving, exercise as well as running would be an enormous help.
    • Posted

I totally agree. I believe at 4 weeks I can do light duties such as dusting, a bit of washing up etc.. No hoovering, changng beds or heaving lifting. I only spent one night in hospital after my op.
  • Posted

I am 15 weeks post op and up until a week ago still had back and pelvic pain we tried this weekend and it was still painful, I saw my consultant 3 weeks ago and have oestrogen pessaries for 3 months so hoping things will get easier, good luck and listen to Matron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.