Sex after turp....how long to wait?

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have a large prostate. i had surgery dec 13. i went back to er once 3 weeks ago with clots and full retention. i pee yellow with no problems and no blood. when can sex start back up. ive been active with my wife but not ejaculating.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've been 4 weeks following TURP. The only issues have been minor such as passing blood clots and bleeding, usually just after urine flow cuts off. Also a burning sensation while peeing that intensifies towards the end of the stream. The urologist just grabbed another urine sample to see if I still have an infection (the one I've been hit with was enterobacter cloacae, which can be deadly). I had been on Foley catheters for over 3 months before the surgery with 100% blockage. Did you discuss the side effect of "retrograde ejaculation" with your urologist before/after surgery? One of the possibilities is that ejaculation is retrograde, meaning that it goes in the "opposite" direction and into the bladder. Doesn't mean you can't have sex but could mean, no children, from what I've read.

• Posted

yes my doctor let me know about the re. I have no problem with that. I also have some pain when finishing peeing. i have no clot or blood.

• Posted

I have a burning pain when peeing that escalates at the end. Oddly enough, I recently saw the time urinating go way down to 3-10 seconds (usually, 5 seconds) with an abrupt stop at the end followed by some bleeding. My Uro ran some tests and, in the 3 seconds, I am actually emptying my bladder completely. My Uro had also warned me about RE but, since Darlene passed away in 2016, I haven't been that active anyway.

• Posted

My uro said I could resume all normal activity after 3 weeks and I did with no issues. That was 49 weeks ago.

• Posted

did u start up sex normally or start occasionally?

• Posted

I guess all uros are different. My Uro said that bleeding will stop 2-3 months after surgery but he didn't say anything much about activity.

• Posted

Everyone's normal is different. We resumed what is normal for us after 3 weeks or so. If your doctor didn't tell you, ask him!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.