Sex as a trigger for AFIB attack.

Posted , 4 users are following.

There are virtually no articles on AFIB and sexual activities and the very few I was able to find even encourage sex as an exercise good for heart and AFIB. However, I had my first AFIB attack in the middle of sexual encounter a few months ago. I have had a few SVT attacks which is fast but regular heart beat and unlike AFIB is not life threatening (one major and a few minor) but all SVT attacks also happened during sexual encounters.

I had my first SVT attack when I was 7 years old. I had approximately one SVT attack per year in childhood usually triggered by running (playing soccer) and then it disappeared for many years until 2008 when I had a major SVT attack lasting hours and my heart was brought back to normal by injection. After that date I had a few minor SVT attacks lasting a few seconds but this fairly safe childhood SVT attacks developed into something much more serious (AFIB) a few months ago.

When I had my attack I realized that this time it is something different. It was fast but IRREGULAR beatings. My upper part of heart was beating chaotic. I called emergency and they took me there and put me on blood thinners. It lasted 56 hours and it came back to normal by itself (I declined cardio-version). Ever since this attack my heart is not normal anymore and I feel like having sudden extra beats or pounding or mermer especially when I am sleeping on my left hand side I did not have after SVT attacks.

I had my ECG a month ago and my heart is structurally fine (atria and valves are fine) and I am not smoker or drinker and I am at normal weight (BMI of 23) but have blood pressure (under control by medication). I had chest infection 48 hours before the attack and took medication (decongestant) and hoping that the OTC may have caused it which if so then it may be a one time AFIB attack (I don't mind SVT attacks but AFIB is terrible).

My questions:

Is sex related AFIB attack normal? Then why is it not reported?

Do I have to avoid sexual encounters for the rest of my life?

Will this arrhythmia go away soon or will stay with me forever?

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

The first a fib attack I experienced was caught on a routine ecg during a regular

doctor's office visit. I was then put on Digoxin and was kept on it for 18 years.

Then my cardiologist took me off it, which was a big mistake, because then I started

having a fib attacks every so many months. I had to travel several hundred miles

away from home (to Boston at Brigham & Womens), and the cardiologist there

put me back on Digoxin. I'm sure it will keep the attacks away just like it did for

the 18 years I was on it. A fib would definitely not keep me from enjoying sex and

exercise ( most any kind) is better than none at all. Good luck!

• Posted

Interesting that your AFIB caught during the short ECG time. My guess you had it before. I have been on Beta Blockers (Metoprolol) over 15 years long before my recent AFIB attack (for my SVT). They didn't change my rate control medication after this attack. They just added blood thinners (which I hate to take). Not sure if blood thinner is really necessary because of one attack which could have been because of OTC (decongestant). Well The joy of sex can become a nightmare if it gives me more AFIB attacks. I think that it is not sex itself that is giving me attacks (SVT or AFIB) but rather related excitement or sudden rise in blood pressure. But for now I am avoiding it because every AFIB attack will produce more and more scarring of the heart and hence one step closer to progression t persistent type of AFIB which would be much worse. I plan to start muscle strengthening exercise soon and increase my medication for BP and hopefully the combination of both would help to get my AFIB under control and prevent attacks during sex.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.