Sex with popped stitches

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm nearly 8 weeks post posterior repair and during week 1 I had an infection which caused one of the vaginal stitches to pop. I was assessed and was told I will heal from the inside out and that it could take some time. Said stitch / hole has not closed and I was wondering if it's still ok to have (try) sex?

TIA

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have the same surgery in 12 hours what caused the infection? I am sorry for your pain.
    • Posted

My surgeon said my body rejected the biodesign they used, the infection caused a build up of fluid which had to escape somewhere. it's been a really rollercoaster of a recovery but I'm finally feeling loads better now. Good luck with yours, I hope it goes ok X

• Posted

I personally wouldn't have penetrative sex as that area that isn't fully healed is a prime site for infection. Plus the friction will disrupt the healing tissues of that area.

• Posted

That was my thinking, it's not really improved since it popped, it's not a big hole by any stretch but none the less a hole ??

• Posted

Hello lisa. IT is ok to try as long as your partner is gentle. You could try some lubricant if you're a bit dry but 8 weeks is the time when most Urogynaecologists like you to try because if it was week 1 when one of your stitches popped it will now be healed

• Posted

Thanks. I still have a small hole where the stitch popped, my GP said it could take up to 18 months to heal ?? Just don't want to make it any bigger ??

• Posted

That's a long time to heal. Not heard of it taking that long before. You have to remember some GP's have had gynae training for years! Are you having a post op check? In most areas Urogynaecologists like women to have tried sex before that appointment, it's a sign all is well. 

• Posted

Yes it's at the end of August. It's really made no sign of closing yet, I had hoped at the time they'd pop another stick back in but they said it would heal itself. Guess time will tell.

• Posted

Let your consultant make that decision, after all he's the expert however I would think there's a lot of women have sex because they aren't as aware as you. You have to remember that the vagina is self cleaning and Mother Nature is very clever and produces more secretions to prevent infections. I would be more concerned about the wound being made bigger than I would about infection.

• Posted

Yeah that's my concern, how you I know if the other stitches are all healed fine?

• Posted

Only a doctor (preferably your consultant because he knows how many he used) can tell you 100% but usually around 8 weeks it's ok to have sex because at the time of the post op check a consultant will usually ask if you've had intercourse.

• Posted

Hope it will go well if you are going ahead with it. I was told to try it eight weeks post op at my six weeks check up. Looking forward to it but really nervous

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.