Sexual Activities after TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

How soon after surgery is it ok to have sex? I am 44 and had my TKR on January 8, 2015. I have a bend of 78° and walking without any aids. I also began driving a week ago, and am off narcotic pain killers, just tylenol. Please give me feedback, as I miss being touched..lol

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

sorry I think I have just been censored !! if you are considering having sex standing up I think it may be a bit too soon - I had to say it before someone else did !! anyway glad to hear that you are on the mend and best wishes Jude
  • Posted

Just a matter of being able to handle the activity. You're not going to hurt the knee. Who knows, it may even give it some relief. Go for it and enjoy.

• Posted

OMG girl! You don't have to wait! Your knee may not allow gymnastics or riding but it will not be injured by a bit of fun. Lol. In fact orgasm is the BEST natural pain med I know. Cheers,

Mary

• Posted

OMG girl! You don't have to wait! Your knee may not allow gymnastics or riding but it will not be injured by a bit of fun. Lol. In fact that sort of fun is the BEST natural pain med I know. Cheers,

Mary

Ha! My first reply got censored!! Tee hee

• Posted

Hi,Lorrigri,I would say "give it a go!". Like old catgut said, it may pick your spirits up. Maybe try foreplay and see how that goes.
  • Posted

No need to wait. There are many positions to choose from. Take the opportunity to be creative and practice frequently! 

I would think there are benefits physically, emotionally, spritually, etc in ways that cannot be had in any other way. So go fot it. Relax and enjoy!

• Posted

chance would be a fine thing ...lol 

jean (76)

but given the opportunity errrrrr.......biggrin

• Posted

I actually asked the doctor that question while still laid up in bed in hospital just a couple of days after the TKR. His reply...."why today is fine...if you can convince Sister or one of the nurses"

Lol!

• Posted

Lorrigrl

Sounds like you are way ahead on the recovery points.  My suggestion would be take your time and enjoy your sexual activities and if pain starts either change positions or stop.  Don't over do it just savour.

Good luck

• Posted

I feel like my bend is terrible, but my bend before surgery was only 96°. I have PVNS and this was my 10th surgery. This recovery seems the be the hardest..I had to wear an immobilizer for a week because of excessive swelling and draining from my scar. I think it is a slow healing process because they have cut the same scar 7 times. It started as a 3 inch scar now it is 12 inches.

• Posted

Have you discussed this drainage with a dr. You want to be assured you don't have staph. Have you checked your temperature ? I too have PVNS and have had 9 surgeries.........the big difference, mine dodn't blow up till age 65.  did pick up staph and will have to be on antibiotics the rest of my life
  • Posted

Ah, Lorrigrl,

The elephant in the room question.

In the pamphlet I got, it said, "as soon as you feel comfortable but your partner will have to do the majority of the work."

Caz x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.