Sexual Issues Following Prostate Biopsy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Three weeks ago, I had a prostate biopsy as well as a urethrotomy to open up a urethral stricture. I am pleased to say that the biopsy results all came back benign and the urethrotomy seems to have worked well too. However, since then, I have definitely noticed a decrease in my ability to achieve a full erection and then maintain it for any amount of time. Furthermore -- and please forgive the details here -- the volume of my ejaculate has also decreased significantly since the two procedures. I am just wondering if these types of symptoms are common among those who have had prostate biopsies, and whether things will evenutally get back to normal on their own after a certain amount of time? I can only assume that taking 12 needle biopsy samples could understandably screw things up for a while, but, does everything "grow back" together and start producing semen the way it used to? Also, I do have to perform daily self catheterization for quite a while to keep the stricutre open, so, maybe that has an impact on things as well? Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated. Urologist wasn't very helpful.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Taking pieces out of your walnut is big time trauma but it will repair itself in time. Be thankful you don't have PC. Good luck
  • Posted

That is terrible that the doctor isn't much help. I have heard of the damage in some being permanent, but most will get better. I avoid the urologist as much as possible because everything that has been done to me has had permanent side effects. It will probably get better, but when they biopsy it causes damage to the organ and the more samples the more damage. I hope you feel better soon and the doctor owes you some consideration when it comes to your concerns.
    • Posted

My own urologist is terrible so I know the feeling. They will mess you up.
    • Posted

Yea, I had to have a kiney stone removed from my ureter via a systoscope and it was hell. I told the doctor after that I no longer urinate normally. I get a split stream and there is dribbling after I finish. It has been 20 years now and I still have the same problem. He wasn't concerned about it because he doesn't have to live with it. I now have prostititus and scared that I will have to go in and no telling what they will want to do this time. I wish it would get better.
    • Posted

I have a friend that is going through radiation treatment for cancer and yea it is no day at Disney Land. But it sounds like it is tollerable. I would ask the doctor to let you know what to expect as far as side effects of it. They owe it to you. Then you can make an informed decision about what type of treatment to have. I would think it is a tough one at that. Hang in there it will get better. It takes time you know. When I was flared up with Crohn's disease I thought I was going to die, but I hung in there and it finally got to where I was functional again. You are tougher than the disease, remember this, OK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.