Sexual relations after pelvic floor surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi, I've had an uneventful recovery from posterior pelvic floor surgery and had the all clear, so 6 weeks post op my husband and I Attempted to make love again, but it was so painful I couldn't continue! 

have we attempted this too early and will it get easier as I am afraid to try again for a while! Has anyone else had problems and any tips on getting back to normal? Used plenty of lubricant too! 

Really look forward ward to any suggestions!

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was just reading in my Interstitial Cystitis book that pelvic floor surgeries for whatever reason you had it done are not a cure all.  That if it is still painful you should start out really slow and not even figure on penetration but just hold hands, rub one another anything that will help you relax because the very thing that was talked about you have experienced and that is painful intercourse and fear now which will tighten the pelvic floor up just thinking about your husbands entrance in the vagina.  Very warm baths to relax the pelvic floor and maybe just minimal insertion of the penis when you are ready to try again.  I bought my book off the internet at Amazon. It is very informative on sexual activity for women who have painful vulva and pelvic floor conditions.  Good luck!! Also, you can talk with your Doctor.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Thank you! Must admit to bring a bit scared of trying again, but thanks for the advice, will definitely take it slowly and not be in such a rush! X
  • Posted

Personally I think 6 weeks is too early and I would always recommend to patients wait until 8 weeks.
    • Posted

Thank you Matron! Guess I was so pleased my surgeon said all was ok and that I could resume this, that I wanted to try!
    • Posted

No harm done. Sometimes ladies do find it comfortable but not often. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.