Sexual side effects of SSRI meds

Posted , 2 users are following.

While I was aware of the likelihood of sexual side effects it came as a complete surprise that even though I discontinue the drug these effects could last a lifetime. There is** no return** to normal function for the majority.

This for me at age 74 is troubling but what if I was 25 and newly married.

So, my question for the community is:

Has anyone been able to return to "normal" or near normal sexual function after discontinuing their anti depressant medication? Specifically Lexapro (escitalopram) and similar SSRI drugs.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I was on Zoloft for a short time and ultimately stopped taking it because of the sexual dysfunction. I was in the young and newly married category. I had been having some issues first due to birth control pills and then the antidepressants started the whole issue over again. It probably took a year and a half for me to function normally again and even then it's not the same. Although I think it was mostly the things the BC changed that didn't go back to normal. Depending on how long you've been off the medication it would probably be worth talking to your doctor. It may be that age-related changes have coincidentally begun around the time you got off the medication, or maybe your body is taking it's time getting back to normal. So far I haven't heard of anyone having permamend side effects after discontinuing their SSRIs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.