Sexually active since 21 and i never did a herpes test. Help please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, as the title states I have been sexually active since 21 and I never took a herpes test. I have done every STi test since being sexually active but never HSV. In my years of being sexually active, I have had sex with 5 men. I am 25. All of them were with condoms and 2 unprotected. My first unprotected encounter was with my EX fiance. We had lots of unprotected sex and I am sure he never had herpes. Well, we broke up and I got with a guy friend who was my 2nd unprotected encounter. He gave me trichomonias. I was devastated for awhile and decided to get tested for everything. I tested negative for all other STIs. He and his girlfriend did too. This situation happens almost 3 months ago. I moved on and not once did I think about herpes until I read the news about a popular celebrity passing off the herpes virus. I became paranoid and started googling symptoms and stories. What scares me is that the virus is able to lay dormant for years before a primary OB. I've read a story where a lady had her primary OB 2 decades after her exposure. Now, my life has been reeling in paranoia for some weeks. I talked to drs and they believe my fears aren't warranted and I should move on being that I am out of the incubation period for symptoms, but I keep thinking about those that go around without symptoms. I never had a bump or lesions in my vagina except for a hair bump.

I am suggesting on getting tested anyways, but all physicians do not test unless symptoms are present. I called labcorp and they do the HSV blood test. I researched about these test online and everything is confusing. I need to know if I have herpes before I explode. Being that it is very common, I convinced myself that 1 or 2 of those 5 men I been with is infected with herpes.

I contacted my guy friend gf and she said when she asked to get tested she asked for everything for him and her, but not sure if they tested for herpes.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Most people who go on to develop a primary outbreak do so within a week of infection, sometimes two weeks. Only a small minority do not until months or years later. Having said that, most people who carry herpes never exhibit symptoms (or recognised symptoms). This is particularly true of oral herpes (both types) and genital HSV2, especially where HSV1 is pre-existing (wherever located).

Two-thirds of the population carry HSV1, often orally and unknowingly, so don't be alarmed if the test says you're positive for that. It's unlikely you have genital HSV2, however, given your age. If you still want to test for both HSV types, then do the type-specific IgG blood test for herpes, not IgM (highly unreliable). The test does not indicate location of infection and even the IgG test can be prone to issues, which is one reason why it is not a routine test.

• Posted

Hi, 

Sorry, I am responding so late. I did not see that you replied to my discussion until a month later. 

It has been 3 months and still has not gone in for a test. I am a public school teacher and has been bogged with preparing for the new school year. I am in the states.  

Since I made this post, I have been experiencing a few symptoms that were later recognized to be an acute UTI. I thought maybe they were herpes prodrome symptoms. My back ached, my neck was sore and hard for me to turn my head. I did not see any blisters on vagina during all of this. I went to the hospital, and that is where they gave me a UTI diagnosis. It was not surprising as I have UTIs every 2 years 2 weeks before my menstrual cycle. It possibly could have been PMS and UTI symptoms. 

Does this sound like prodrome? 

• Posted

Those are very generic symptoms, so could be anything, and if you had a confirmed UTI with bacteria at the time, then they're probably due to that. I would not worry about it.

• Posted

Here's an update, so I went to the gyno after the symptoms of an UTI persisted and they did a swab. The Dr said he noticed an inflamed cervix and a little discharge. I did not ask about lesions. Usually when something is concerning they give medicine right away

Is it possible that I may have herpes on the cervix? I now noticed a yellow pus like discharge and having lower abdomen pain

• Posted

That doesn't sound like herpes to me, but rather an infection of some kind. Herpes doesn't cause abdominal pain, but other infections can. Did you get the results back yet?

• Posted

It sounds like you're willing for it to be herpes.

2 out of 3 people have type 1 and 1 in 6 have type 2.

The unfortunate truth is that most people are probably going to have a run in with herpes whether they know it or not.

What is your end goal here? If it comes back that you're positive but you aren't hindered by breakouts you'll live your life exactly the same.

• Posted

Hey FeliZ, yes I did and they did not find any STI nor lesions. They also did not find BV. The ER nurse believes that it's a bacteria that they aren't testing for. I had pap and it also was normal. Is it possible to experience these symptoms without lesions or sores

• Posted

I am trying to rule out the causes. I was diagnosed with cervicitis but all sti tests are negative. The only on left is herpes
    • Posted

Were you tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea? What about HPV, although that doesn't cause UTI or abdominal pain, but can cause cervical inflammation. There is a lesser known bacteria called ureaplasma that some doctors say is harmless, but which others feel you should nevertheless treat. Just some additional ideas.

• Posted

I was tested for changes in the cervix during a pap exam 2 months ago. Everything was clear
    • Posted

My pap checked for chlamydia Gonnerrhea and HPV. All clear. I am on day 2 of the Flagyl the ER Dr prescribed and I am feeling somewhat better. Maybe it was some bacteria Flagyl is used to kill off bacteria or parasitic infections. I'm negative for trich as well and BV

• Posted

That is not a standard Pap, but a Pap plus other STD tests thrown in on top, but good if they specifically tested for each of those other items at the same time and you tested negative. Hopefully the Flagyl is all you need then.
    • Posted

I hope so. I'll give an update tomorrow after I get the results back from gyn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.