Sgt and the flu

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. Does anyone else find that a cheery cold or flu triggers their Svt. Thanks in advance

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My SVT came at any time and just doing nothing but sitting and watching TV and it would come on. It's really hard I think to pin point really what brings it on. I have been driving, eating, shopping, singing in the choir, etc. And I still don't know what brings it on?  I had an ablation, so I don't have SVT anymore. I know that it debilated it me so much, I had to stop driving for awhile. I was anxious that it might come on when I was driving and it did 3 times , and once it resulted in going by ambulance to the ER. I didn't want to take the chance. I started having more and more episodes and frequently , that is why I chose ablation. It fixed the problem and the procedure was not bad at all. I was completely asleep while they did it, so that was good for me.

• Posted

Thanks for replying Linda 90194. I have had svt most of my life but have noticed that if I have a cough or cold I get more episodes. Have also had ablation twice but unfortunately hasn't worked for me x

• Posted

Can’t say this was the case for me as mine was usually just triggered by sudden movements. But I did find being tired and drinking alcohol and caffeine did. I’ve seen a few people on here with similar stories about cold medicine though so I don’t think you’re alone. ❤️All the best. Emily. 
  • Posted

Sandra, I first read years ago, and have read multiple times since, of an association between SVT and pneumonia.  Thus, it doesn't surprise me that you've noticed a linkage between SVT and other respiratory illnesses.  Thanks for your observation.

• Posted

There are a variety of causes for arrhythmia and tachycardia. We are all different.

At times there's a chronic inflammation cause, this situation is exasperated when you have the flu. Of course, avoid cold remedies with ephedrine or other stimulants since these are triggers for most folks.

I cannot maintain adequate levels of potassium in my body so i eat organic bananas, coconut water, figs, etc. to keep the levels up. I also do this reactively when i have an episode.  The flu can deplete your electrolytes.

I did a DNA wellness test & supporting blood test to confirm my conditions: chronic inflammation, low potassium, addictive traits, circadian rhythm issues, susceptibility to depression, (good) cholesterol issues, sensitivity to caffeine, natural lows of c, d, e, b6, b12, a requirement for increased omega 6 & 9, etc.

Most of this confirmed what i already know after 52 years of experimentation with my heart condition. I am not a doctor. I am simply passing on facts from my own personal experience. I am not unique physically.

When you have the flu you're out of balance. When you are out of balance your bioelectrical system is disrupted which will exasperate your heart condition.

I still suffer arrhythmia when i have the flu or a weakened immune system but i manage it well but treating my underlying conditions, boosting my immune system, eating plenty of vegetables, etc.

I am someone who can make a radical lifestyle change to manage my heart condition. I suggest you consider the same. All the best. Chris.

ps. There's no genetic marker for having a strong will :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.