Shakes, jitters, internal restlessness

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone experienced shakes, tremors, jitters or a feeling of internal restlessness on Sertraline. When I upped my dose to 100mg I notices that my hand were shaking and I felt an internal tremor through my whole body.

I don't know if it is down to the medication or anxiety. If it is anxiety I have never experienced it like this before!

Apparently shaking due to medication is called Akathisia quite common when taking antipsychotics but also can happen with SSRIs and other ADs.

Thanks

Ed

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Ed. I take 50mg a day and started about a month and a half ago. When I first started taking it, I pretty much had all the symptoms. This is the first antidepressant I've ever taken. My teeth chattered, I sweated a lot, had trouble sleeping, and even had a near full-on panic attack, which even though I've had anxiety issues, I had never really had what I would consider to be a panic attack. It took a couple weeks, but all of those symptoms are basically gone now and I feel a lot better. It might just take your body a few weeks to get used to the higher dose.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply David,

Glad to hear I am not the only one who has experienced these symptoms on Sertraline! I have been on this dose for quite a while but maybe it needs a bit longer.

cheers,

Ned

• Posted

Hi Ed, yep, same thing happened to me. I had not teeth-chatter, but I noticed I clenched my jaws a lot. I still do sometimes. I had jitters, but most of these side effects went away after 2 months or so. Hang in there.

• Posted

Thanks GS, I'll stick with it and see what happens. Cheers, Ned

• Posted

im on 25 mg baby dose for 4 weeks did 1 week on 50 it was horrid now these past couple of days my anxiety and panic are 10x worse at a loss

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.