Shaking after general anaesthetic and low oxygen levels. Is this common?

Posted , 2 users are following.

After my last two general anaesthetics, when I've come round, I've shaken uncontrollably and had to have medication.  Most unpleasant.  I also had low oxygen levels.  

I had a trapeziectomy - thumb joint surgery - two years ago and decided to have a nerve block instead.  Unfortunately, this didn't go well as, even after two injections, my arm and hand was not completely numbed, so I had to have Fentanyl  so that they could complete the operation.  Even so, I could still feel everything.

I now need another trapeziectomy on my other hand and am quite worried about the anaesthesia.  I've decided to have the general anaesthetic as I don't want a repeat of my previous experience with the nerve block.  Have others have had this horrid shaking after a general anaesthetic?  And is it common to have low oxygen levels after anaesthesia? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cheetah

im sorry to hear of what you’ve been through. I just wanted to let you know that although I don’t have any answers as to why I’ve had the exact same thing - uncontrollable shaking after two operations. I’m due to have a bowel resection in 10 days and I’m much more daunted by the waking after surgery than any other aspect of    major surgery.

I hope someone is along soon who can shed some light

Wishing you all the very best x

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  It's horrid, isn't it?  You should meet your anaesthetist before your operation, so make sure they know you've had this reaction after previous operations.  After my last op the nurse gave me two lots of something - Demerol? - which did help.  Maybe you could also ask how they treat this if it occurs again.

I hope your operation goes well and you make a good recovery.

Take care. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.