Shaking hands after stopping methamazol

Posted , 4 users are following.

About a month ago the endo told me to stop taking methamazol after over 10 years. Are my shaking hands a withdrawal sign?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I would say it's your hormones of the thyroid starting again. If you still are taking hormones you can be a little elevated which cause shaking.

Methamazol will cause your thyroid to release less hormones and block the thyroid to take up signals to produce more. When the block is gone your thyroid can get signals again.

Myself often get shaking when I'm hyperthyroid. I also got shaking symptoms when quiting with my meds but it was only during the period I still was taking the levotyroxin. I've stopped having a trembled after 3 weeks off meds.

• Posted

hi, before your endo completely stopped methimazole, did he/she gradually lessened the dosage? because that's what my endo is doing for my hyperthyroidism. i am now only at 5mg from 20mg... that could be a withdrawal symptom BUT that could also be your thyroid hormones shooting up again, although i could be wrong. have you tried talking to your endo about it? Wishing you well xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.