Shaking hands and weak muscles with mono?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I hate to be making another discussion when I've already made so many in the past, but I'm worried again... My hands feel shaky or less steady today and I can't figure out if it's because of weakness, fatigue, mono in general, or something else. My muscles feel weak too, like I can't lift as much as I used to, but I don't have weight loss so I don't think it's muscle wasting. Has anyone else had anything similar with mono?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hey there – these are my two biggest complaints with mono, aside from fatigue. I get the shaking as well usually in the morning that lingers into the afternoon. And I wake up with horrendous muscle weakness and fatigue. Have you had your thyroid checked? That can play a part in the shaking.

• Posted

yes my shaking has been awful ... people have pointed it out to me i assume its the virus and our nerve endings. its gotten better the last few months but it was really bad in october november now just minor shaking .

• Posted

Hi Alle,

I am on month 11 and have muscle loss. I also have extreme weakness in my arms and legs with a mild left hand tremor. I am typically very strong and athletic so not being able to do my normal tasks for so long has been so discouraging. I do hope this passes soon for all of us. In my case I am wondering if the source of this is a secondary infection. I also got dengue fever around the same time ...

Alle, how long have you been suffering?

Kiki x

• Posted

Hi Kiki,

That sounds positively awful, I couldn't possibly imagine having Dengue Fever on top of Mono, I was convinced I was dying when I just had a cold on top of it... I'm on the very end of month five, but it feels like so much longer.

• Posted

Hi Alle,

Absolutely I had these kind of symptoms when I was going through mono, shakiness can be a symptom of any nasty virus, of which mono most definitely is, and muscles aches / pains / weakness definitely something I experienced too.

It does pass and get better Alle, hang in there. It doesn't mean anything more sinister or serious than mono, these are normal symptoms for mono - of course it's always wise to check in with the doctor with these things but it sounds in line with common symptoms for mono (not that it makes it any easier to deal with I know) and hoping and praying things settle down and try not to worry (hard as that is I know) as things do and will get better.

Thinking about you and remember God is the great healer, He knows the bigger picture and hoping and praying for your healing Alle - hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

I've had internal shaking and tremors in my hand. I try to make sure I snack a few times during the day now. Not sure if it works, but makes me feel in my own mind it helps. Eating a banana is a good way of getting an instant healthy sugar rush. I actually have a benign tremor in my hand anyway, which I had tested out years ago including checking on my thyroid, as an over active thyroid can give you tremors. Had it re-tested, but it's clear. So for me it is this virus that has made it worse.

• Posted

Hey Dodge,

Yeah for sure bananas are good I try to eat one every day if able to, lucky to have the chance to do that. They are good for B vitamins and stuff to do with the nervous system like tremors and things so definitely it makes sense to introduce bananas into daily diet if shakiness or tremors are an issue during mono.

Hoping that the tremor in your hand is under control Dodge, that must be such a frustrating thing to deal with, glad to hear it's a benign thing and just hoping and praying for a better year ahead for you - hoping we can leave the woes of 2018 behind and praying we can align with God's new and good works in our lives over the coming year.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Alle,

I used to have a internal shakiness and my muscles felt very weak, my daughter too. I am not sure why the virus causes these symptoms. It is a scary feeling for sure.

• Posted

Definitely shakiness and tremors are a scary thing, when you feel something like that is happening and it's hard to control it must be very frightening indeed. Hoping things settle down for you Alle and as Mono too says I think it can be a symptom of this virus that God willing will pass over as your body recovers - hoping and praying for that.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.