Shall i keep gaining weight as long as i take mirtazapine?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking mirtazapine 30mg for 8 months and have gained 10kgs. I was underweight and needed them but will i keep on gaining weight?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

theres a good chance you will. you need to decide whether you are at your ideal weight, and change your diet to stop gaining more. its hard, but it is for a lot of people. mirt has a reputation for weight gain, but the other anti depressants are just as bad. comes down to which how disciplined you are. a healthy diet, or weight gain. its the same for people not on antidepressants. i was not bothered by my diet and weight on my previous anti depressant, but i am on my new one. i feel better on the new one, and have much more discipline.

• Posted

Hi Anna, I was on Prozac (fluoxetine) and had no problem with weight gain at all, but also it didn't work for me personally had 20mg in the morning..Then my GP switched me out of the blue to mirtazapine 15mg whigh made my legs spasming first thing in the morning so when I had review I mentioned this to him and he said I'll be eventually on 45mg but had to increase me gradually that I clearly understood the reasoning behind that and was duly put on 30mg for about 4 months then 45mg of mirtazapine 4 months later and they work like a dream less sedative but more anti-depressant in the higher dose, and although eating and exercising the same I put on over 2yrs 2 stone in weight without really noticing apart from a desire to want sugary good that I initially had the the odd chocolate bar or a cake, so now when I get that feeling I compliment my need with fruit as I wasn't aware of weight gain until I found out from another Dr when I said about mirtazapine having normal check up, So only recently that I've been told this I have swapped sugary foods for fruit and still exercising 4 times a week on x-trainer for 1/2hr burst burning 600 calories each time, so I'm slowly loosing the extra weight.. but it's got to be rigid it's a good medicine but be aware of weight gain which I weren't.

• Posted

I was put on mirtazapine 3 years ago and over the space of 12months I gained almost 2 stone, anyway I found the side effects unbearable and tapered off them 12 months ago, however I am trying everything to loose the weight I gained and finding it extremely difficult unless I practically starve myself. As far as I'm concerned they screwed up my whole system....

• Posted

did you find that you ate more sweet stuff, or was it the mirtazapine that put the weight on for you Anna? I'm eating pretty much the same put I too put 2 stone on and I exercise every other day on x-trainer and I can't shift the weight at All, and diets don't work as if I lost it I know I'd put it all back on; The actual drug works Well but the weight gain is the Only bad side effect to it 😕

• Posted

Hi robert

i had an eating disorder due to the depression. I was very underweight so i enjoyed the cravings for sweets.

I exercise a lot but i dont know if i will keep on gaining weight..

I guess that is the price we will pay with mirtazapine.

Did you have anxiety too?

• Posted

hello, i got very depressed a year ago, and lost 3 stone in 3 months. i just did not want to eat, had no appetite. anxiety causes the same thing. when the anti depressant starts working, your appetite comes back with a bang, and seems to increase the better you get. mirtazapine has a bad reputation for weight gain. thing is, the other anti depressants are pretty much as bad. venlafazine, prozac, seroxat, doesnt matter which one, they can all bring on considerable weight gain. perhaps you are feeling down briefly, and eating, particularly carbs and sweets, give you a satisfying feeling quickly. if you dont care about weight gain, or arent even aware of it, weight quickly piles on. for me, i would eat, until i felt uncomfortably full. i refused to allow myself to put the weight back on, and i havent done so. its something im always aware of. to deal with it, i literally do not touch sweets, biscuits, chocolate, crisps, fast food, and processed food. i know how bad they are, and do not touch them at all. the longer you can avoid these foods, the easier it becomes doing so. also have to limit carbs. its more difficult finding alternative satisfying foods, but you can. i also excercise each day. you really need to want to keep healthy, and stick to it. i dont touch the unhealthy, but enjoyable stuff, as if i did, i wouldnt stop eating them. it is the only way ive found that keeps me at a healthy weight. hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.