Shame riddled with it

Posted , 6 users are following.

Last night I got drunk and fell over I’ve hurt my self not major but I’m utterly disgusted in myself... I am a binge drinker ...I can not have a drink for a couple of weeks then bang and I have a couple of bottles of wine... I’m a complete disgrace... I have frightened myself and I want to stop... how can I say no ... why is it so ridiculous who invented this stupid stuff... 

I need it to be next Sunday so I’m not anxious and feeling like a complete utter loser. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Tori, I've read the self-reports of many a binge drinker that either stopped or greatly lessened the blackouts by using The Sinclair Method. Now, if you're in the UK, that's probably not something that you're going to line up by next week, but you could start finding out about it and make an appointment with your GP to get the ball rolling. You can read more about The Sinclair Method by looking for it on this link:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/useful-resources-487627

I was a daily drinker (30+ years)  not a binge drinker, but I used The Sinclair Method to cut my drinking from 300-400 US drinks per month (over 600 UK drinks per month) by over 95%. 

If you use the "Search thousands of discussions" tool at the right and search on "TSM", you'll find discussions by others that have tried it. 

If you're looking to abstain entirely TSM would eventually help you do that, but Acamprosate might be a good choice too. That takes a couple of weeks to kick in, but it kills your drinking triggers. Just stay out of the pubs, is the advice I read about it. 

• Posted

Have you ever used Acamprosate? You say it kills urge and just wondered how you got on with it? I got 8 months alcohol free under my belt but started up again and struggling to go one or two days without wine 😔

• Posted

Emma, I started with TSM and never looked back. It has a success rate of about 80% and I wasn't really interested in being 100% abstinent, so it really appealed to me. I rode that train for about 6 months and from that point on (August 2016) I've been drinking about a 12 pack per month (instead of every single night). 

You might look up RHGB here, he and Vickylou both used Acamprosate. RHGB had a serious liver problem (hope it's on the heal, RH) and Vickylou just didn't get along with the Naltrexone used for The Sinclair Method. Maybe someone else will pop in and tell you about their experience with it. 

Nalmefene can also be used for TSM (they don't call it that though) and is available on NHS. Have you talked to your GP about this at all? 

• Posted

I don’t know what any of them medications are .. would I just get them straight away from the doctors? Are would they suggest other things ..are can I demand them??x
    • Posted

Depends on where you are, Tori (US, UK, Europe, Oz). Let us know and maybe we can shoot you some more info. 
  • Posted

How was Yesterday Tori07385? What is it about Sundays that help you from being anxious
    • Posted

I just wanted it to be a week away from last Sunday when I felt disgusted in myself.. haven’t drunk since .. feeling better but it’s always there .. in any setting where there’s drinks available.. I’m always the absolute mess.

Staying off the sauce taking it week by week.. hitting the gym and concentrating on theirs awful jan /feb to be over !! 

Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.