Share you TIA experience with me! Is mine atypical like doctor says?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I'm female in early 30s. Good health.  A few weeks

I was standing in a shop, standing squarely, facing forward. Feet firmly planted. I had not just gotten up or anything. I had been looking at an object for a few minutes.

Suddenly (and it all happened in about 15-30 seconds) my left leg started side stepping repeatedly, making my stance wider and wider. In those few seconds my brain literally thought "why is my left leg stepping out to the side without me telling it to?". Then I realized what was happening. My leg was not moving of its own accord. It was losing it's ability to hold me up and shuffling out as it was collapsing.  

I was sinking down into my left side. I think my leg possibly was trying to support me but it was like it was weak and I slumped over the side and was weak for a moment. Like that side couldn't hold me up. I never fully collapsed as after a few seconds I snapped out of it.  I didn't feel like I was going to pass out. It was completely different. There was no darkness closing in around me. I was not fainting. I've had that feeling once as a child. It was not this. It was like I didn't have command over my body for a moment and it was weak.

Afterwards I was tired and legs felt heavy for an hour.

Later I decided to go into the hospital and get checked. When he gave me normal routine exam, touch his fingers my nose etc I passed perfectly. They ruled out a stroke and the doctor was very adamant that it could be MS and said I would need to get a follow up.  

A week later I had an MRI of my spine and neck. Nothing.

My two questions are:

1) My neurologist also said **you cannot have a TIA where your leg doens't fully collapse. He said if I had had a TIA, my leg would not have been able to hold me and I would have collapsed to the floor on that side.  Is it possible to not collapse all the way? If felt like I was collapsing slowly, but then I snapped out of it and was able to stand again.  He also said you can't hold a position like that parallel to the floor for a few seconds. I'm just not sure and wanted to see if anyone has had a TIA or stroke and had leg weakness and NOT collapsed.  

2) He also implied you shouldn't be able to 'think' while having a stroke. I was able to think "why is my leg moving without me telling it to". ANyone else been able to have higher order thought during a stroke?

Thanks so much. Just wanted a second option here.  It was scary what happened and I'm trying to make sense of it.

Report this

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My TIA was at the Vet. I fell against the wall thinking I was going to pick up the wife's purse. Then when I tried to talk to her it was garbled. My second try was cut short as I knew what I sounded like. I was aggravated by my inability to speak. Wife told me I was having a stroke. Regained ability to speak within minutes. Spent the night in the hospital- they found nothing. It did take a while for me to write my name as I do. Yoga has helped restore more than I lost that day. There is no such thing as NORMAL - We all have a unique experience. I was 63 at the time living in Costa Rica.

• Posted

I agree with your 1st responder, the brain is so complex, that there just isn't a set response to any kind of brain bleed.

I had a major subarachnoid haemorrhage, I was standing when what felt like an explosion going off in my head happened. I lurched violently forwards, but managed to grab something structural.

What I experienced was very unusual, extreme pain was the most obvious symptom.

If I were you, I'd get a second opinion, this is both your mind AND your life that's at stake. Hopefully, it'll turn out to be a strange, unimportant episode, but just have another checkup, to be on the safe side.

X

• Posted

If poss. please let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

Are you sure he was a neurologist? 

Depending on the type of stroke or TIA you may be able to  think and you can have leg weakness.

It could have been a lacunar infarct or TIA or mild seizure.

Any episodes since? 

You may need an MRI.

• Posted

Hi Nevi. I was doing work in house and felt right arm go numb which spread to my leg and felt side of mouth tingly. Lasted 15-20 mins then came back again about 40 mins later. same thing. Pressing my arm it felt like it wasn't mine and kept stubbing my toe when walking. Probably lost about 30-40% power on right side but did not fall. Phoned doc who sent blue light ambulance and they suggest it was a TIA although there was no brain bleed. That was year ago and still get a mild repeat with occasional right arm tingle but not as bad as fisrt time. Sometimes this is coupled with a shortness of breath first. No definite reason diagnosed apart from hardening of arteries. MRI showed hardening small arteries and 'white bits' in brain but nobody sure what these are. On BP pills, anti-coag and statins now. Get mild short term headaches that I never had before so just wondering if and when a full stroke will happen and also wondering what actually caused the initial TIA.

• Posted

Hi Cliff,  you had an ischemic event caused by hardening of the arteries aka atherosclerosis is caused by plaque.aka atheroma.  You may have an ulcerated plaque. It is well documented that these can cause TIA's and strokes without stenosis. Ask for an ultrasound of your carotids.

I know because that is what they found after my stroke.  I have an appointment with a vascular surgeon next week. The treatment options are surgical removal, carotid stent. They say healing iwithout intervention is rare.

I don't want surgery, or a stent, but I don't want to have another stroke either, as the next one could be much worse. 

I have been persistently praying to God for a healing, eating clean and fasting. I have faith that God is healing me. I can't wait till my next ultrasound shows the healed plaque.

The headaches are probably being caused by either your statins or your bp medicine. 

• Posted

I have a question. Are you advocating for prayer, over medicine? I do hope that you, spontaneously recover, but, as I'm agnostic, I do think that it would be because of healthy eating, not to mention, good luck.

I will always recommend medicall treatment and the advice of those in the medical professions. I'm agnostic, but for medical treatment, I wouldn't have survived a haemorrhagic stroke.

• Posted

I had a major subarachnoid haemorrhage, from a posterior, inferior, cerebellar aneurysm. I quickly became comatose. I was later told that the first attempt to stop the bleed, was to get to it via my right femoral artery. It didn't work, in fact, it made the haemorrhage worse.

Next, they had to try to stabilise me. To relieve some of the pressure on my brain, 3 burr holes were made on top of my head, and blood clots removed. Then another burr hole allowed access at the back of my skull, which made it possible to get to the aneurysm, above my cerebellum.

I was later told that, apparently, in cases like mine, typically, there's a very high mortality rate, with only around 25% surviving and making a good recovery. I was lucky.

My concern, regarding the suggestion of prayer being a viable means to healing, goes against the views of many and could very well alienate people, making them feel that they can't come here for advice, at a time, potentially, when they really need support. I'm sure that there must be many places for people to discuss spiritual matters, I just feel that this is a place that's best kept secular.

• Posted

Hi Joe. Thanks for your views and thoughts. Funny thing about my TIA was that it happened on my right side and I have since been tested for almost everything, however the cartoid ultrasound test showed hardening on the right side. They fully expected a right hand TIA to be caused by the left cartoid but that was not the case. They said right hand cartoid showed slight build up of plaque but not enough to justify any operation. They said the build up level was similar to most old people like me. ( I thought I was still young at 63 years old). So really nobody able to tell how exactly it happened which means they can not find any internal damage.

Normally my diet has been pretty good with fish and veg and all that stuff that is supposed be good for you but I enjoy it.

I think there is a mixture of spiritual and medical help required in all these situations and it is finding the correct balance to suit the individual. 

I am sure that stress has something to do with TIAs. I feel the changes when there is something suddenly crops up that is a problem that I was not expecting. Having strong spiritual thoughts can probably help calm the person down but medical guidance must be given priority. That is just my thoughts and I wish you all a long and happy time without any further TIAs.

• Posted

All due respect Wendy, but ever realize quite possibly your views could also alienate people, or the way you respond to another's most personal declaration? It goes both ways. Who are we to sit in judgement of someone's beliefs & suppress, or try to curtail their right to freedom of speech... or faith for that matter, especially in this medium? As you mentioned, we're here for support- to offer & to receive- to relate our personal experiences just as you have. It didn't seem as if Joe was impressing God upon me. It was part of his experience, his life story. Each of us has one. For you to criticize because you're agnostic & the mention of God has no place here & will alienate others is simply... well, it's hypocritical really.

Further, as some may be alienated, others may very well not be.. Like you, others have been in life & death situations & arrived at a different place whether in body, mind or spirit. Regardless of our faith or lack thereof, we are united by a commonality, although some of us are experts, while others are looking for them, some are in pain, at the breaking point, or need someone to talk to, while others feel blessed, thankful or joyful & want to shout it from the rooftops, or give glory where glory is due. We're each on our own journey, filled with many straight & winding paths. I hope to continue to explore & traverse mine with clarity, compassion, an open mind, empathetic spirit & kind heart... All the best.

• Posted

Cliff, if you had a TIA it wouldn't have involved bleeding. A TIA is a clot that passes across the brain. I've had several TIA's  after my Ischaemic Stroke 6 years ago. I'm on warfarin now. If you have anti coags you shouldn't have another TIA as should prevent clotting. I had a Lacunar Infarct (Sensory stroke) last Xmas, but it wasn't formally diagnosed as my GP handled it. 

I too am anxious (scared) of having another stroke. I think that's always in the back of your mind when you've had a stroke event. 

• Posted

I'm surprised  you remember all the technical terms. After I had my stroke (Ischaemic) my memory completely went. Now 6 years later, I still have memory issues, nothing anyone can do apparently.

• Posted

I know this is fairly late, but if you don't get better, or have positive results,. would you lose your Faith in God and Healing? As this has happened to me.

• Posted

My ex husband (and good friend) is in hospital at the moment after experiencing only garbled speech nothing else, he experienced no weakness, he has been told that he has had a stroke but it has only affected his tongue, I'd never heard of this before, always believing that you get numbness or weakness in arms/legs, slurred speech etc, so definitely not typical at all, I would be interested to hear if anyone else either has had this or knows of someone whose tongue was the only thing affected.

• Posted

The speech center is located in theleft cerebral hemisphere and is perfused by a branch of the left middle cerebral artery. If that branch is occluded his speech will be affected.

I am not sure what part of the brain controls the motor function of the tongue, but it would be the same type of event. It seems that he would also have problems swallowing.

• Posted

No his swallowing reflex seems fine, the consultant got him to drink some water as part of his examination, they did an MRI

With one of those face masks on that went partway down his neck to check for problems in that area, all okay.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.