Share your stories!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I thought this would be nice to start ! 

What’s one of your worst/funniest/embarrassing  stories regarding rhinitis? 

I have a lot , but one of them is always in my mind because of how awful it was . 

I was a student in school and just got diagnosed with allergic rhinitis, we were having a test and I had some tissues with me . My nose was runny to the point where all of the tissues were literally melted lol . Every time I tried to answer , my nose would be like “surprise ! Now clean up “ 

This was so horrible and embarrassing  and I would end up cleaning it with my sleeves *blushing*.

Let’s share them! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello there,  Can't say I have any funny stories about my allergic rhinitis....more miserable

ones, where I can't breath, running or blocked nose and ETD etc, etc, etc.  Wish I could

laugh about it.  However, there are people out there that are seriously suffering with serious

illnesses. So should Laugh while we can with our trivial ailments, even though they are 

miserable !!

Nice to read something jovial, well done you.

Anne

• Posted

I hear ya ! 

I have the whole package (allergies , nasal polyps , deviated septum) and it’s horrible , But sometimes when I remember some bad situations I might laugh at them now.

• Posted

Allergies and polyps go hand in hand.  Had surgery twice to remove mine.

They've remained shrunk with the current steroid nasule drops I'm using,

so all good !!

You take care and keep laughing

Anne

• Posted

I’m glad to hear this ! 

My doctor refused to remove them because he believes they will come back again . He thinks that treating them with sprays and keeping the allergies under control is better . 

But what gets me the most is the constant infections I get specially in the left side of my nose , throat and ear (my “bad” side ) .

Best wishes to you ! 

• Posted

They can grow so big, one gets so blocked up, it's very

hard to breath.  He's right they do grow back, but you must

use the correct and strong nasal spray/drops as possible.

Depends on the country you are living in. I'm using Flixonse

Nasule Drops, that are stronger than the sprays.  If you're

unable to get them, maybe Betnesol drops....drops are 

stronger than sprays.  I don't believe sprays are strong

enough to shrink polyps.

Ask for an alternative to what I advised has helped me.

SPRAYS ARE USUALLY 50mcg

DROPS  are                     400mcg (1mg/ml  

Because of the strength I've regained my

sense of smell and taste after years and years,

it's wonderful.

I now only have to use these drops approx

every 4/5 days, or when my ears get blocked.

They help to eradicate inflammation, the cause

of loss of those senses.  They stop post nasal drip

and they help with allergies too.

Highly recommend !!

My side that's worse is my left too.  Only go for 

surgery as a last result, if you're able to get

prescribed something that will shrink the

polyps go for that first.....remember it will

have to be a Fluticasone Propionate 

Suspension Nasal Drops.

Good luck

Anne

DROPS    "

• Posted

Thanks for the suggestions, I’d bring it up with him on my next appointment.

• Posted

My worst thing about having Rhinitis is going to the dentist! You know that your nose is going to be blocked and your only form of breathing is going to be invaded with dentist equipment. One dentist asked me to stop breathing on his mirror and breath through my nose. I wish I could! I have also lost my sense of smell. It does really come in handy when other people around you are moaning about someone's bad whiff, or the stinky drain. On the flip side, I do tend to get the bad jobs at home like picking up dog mess and emptying the bin. I have also started pretending that I can smell in perfume departments when the sales assistant asks me to smell her gorgeous perfume. Mmmmm I say, its lovely! Ha ha, can't smell a thing! I try and stay positive with my inflictions and keep taking my antihistamines and sprays. Maybe one day someone will come up with the answer or we can all move to Switzerland.

• Posted

Hahaha ...I have a bad post nasal drip so I’m constantly swallowing, I even swallowed the local numbing gel lol , mind you I suffered from a numb throat for a whole day .

Oh that sucks ! I haven’t really lost my smell , however , I might have reduced sense of smell . But I’m allergic to perfumes so I can somehow smell that from far away lol . 

And I absolutely hate it when those perfume sellers spray their perfumes as soon as you’re close and try to shove their products in your face ! I always pass quickly by them with my hand covering my face . I guess they think I’m one crazy lady with bad attitude haha . 

On a side note , how is Switzerland better for us ? I’m really curious to know lol.

• Posted

That's funny about the perfume counter, as I was the same and would pretend

to be able to smell.  Being without the smell and taste senses has been awful

for me for over thirty years, up until recently....so wonderful getting rid of all

the inflammation and having those senses back again.

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.