Sharing experience of double bunion and hammer toe operation

Posted , 2 users are following.

Day 3 post double bunion and hammer toe operation. Why not join a forum? Lying in bed, feet up, drugs doing their job, feeling relaxed. I first agreed to have bunion surgery in 1994 but injured my back prior to the operation and had to endure spinal surgery Managed to put it off due to family and work commitments and a large element of fear. I want to share my and other people's experiences of double bunion surgery whilst attempting to allay other people's fears. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had bunion surgery on 28/03/17.  Unfortunately, I ended up in ICU with aspiration pneumonia this meant I spent 5 days in bed.  Scar is healing well, but foot still quite swollen.  Didn't really experience the "excruciating" pain some people have posted.  Pain just controlled with panadol or similar. 

• Posted

When did you have your surgery and where? 1994 until now is a long time
    • Posted

Sort it has taken so long to reply....must be delaying is on my nature. Main problem was the length of time I had to take off work. My husband is retiring soon so thought now or never with private health insurance. Anyway, fast forward.... moving towards week 7. Casts are off. Elephant feet have been transformed after a few short baths into 2 feet with very subtle scars where bunion treatment took place and more swollen, less attractive scar from hammertoe operation. Walking without crutches despite swelling and every day brings some kind of improvement. It has been so much easier tha I feared....so much so my son aged.30 is now considering having his done. Can't predict the future but I dreaded then agony that came with operation and it has honestly been pain free if not slightly uncomfortable. Spent hours elevating feet in bed as I can write for a living so computer in hand, phone by my side, friends popping in.... I can honestly recommend it.

• Posted

Had it done in Reading by Ian Nugent.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.