Sharing my experience

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with PC (PSA 4.6, Gleason 4+3). Had RP March 24th. 1 week after RP had a lymphocele (accumulation of lymphatic liquid due to removal of lymph nodes - I had 28 removed, all clean).

My doctor said I can do some self lymph drainage massage and go to a professional massage centre after I came back from vacation.. nothing urgent! Even though I had pains in my left leg shooting all the way back to my sciatic nerve, totally preventing me from walking and the pain was unbearable.

3 weeks later, an infection had built up to a life threatening condition at which stage I was rushed to hospital emergency room, operated under full anesthesia, had lots of infected liquid out, a catether inserted and 2 weeks in hospital till all the sh*t came out and drainage was down to zero and infection gone.

This second doctor who operated me for the infection said massage was the worst thing one can do.. only spreading the infection all around the body.

Clearly it was poor competence on the part of the first doctor. Massage?? Go on holiday no problems.. only 2 weeks after a major surgery?? I said I had a fever and he couldn't make the connection to a possible infection which very likely in the case of a lymphocele??

The second doctor said once a lymphocele is gone, it's gone, with 5% chance of recurrence. He checked 10 days after I left hospital, via sonography on the pelvic area, and there was no more accumulation of liquid. I am hoping that means the end of it.

Any experiences to share on lymphocele?

Well, there you have it.. my experience.. hope it can be helpful.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Please report the doctor to the hospital and make a complaint. He/She caused you incredible pain and provided incorrect advice. They should apologize and cover all of your costs because of this botch job. I had close family member have a hacked lymph in a leg during a heart surgery. 3 days later we discovered the surgeon bungled the job, failed to provide a drainage canal, and thus caused a tumor growth requiring emergency surgery.  These guys need to be removed from practice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.