Sharing my experience

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all,

I posted on here a couple of months ago when I was at the height of it and feeling really down. But I thought I'd give an update on my experience in case it might be helpful to anyone, as I know what it's like to obsessively google about it.

TL;DR: I first noticed it mid-late March, the main symptoms of itching and new spots stopped around 2-3 months in and now the marks are still fading.

I actually kept a timeline of what happened but I can't find it, so I don't remember exact times, but in general:

-First noticed herald patch but didn't know what it was at the time (mid-late March) I did have a mild-cold/flu mid-March but I can't remember if that was before or after I noticed the herald patch. The cold/flu didn't last long only a few days.

-Red itchy spots started appearing on skin, mostly on torso, back and groin (especially along creases and bra line) and then the occasional one on thighs

-Itchy spots kept appearing for the first couple months, (used antihistamine cream for short time because I thought they were bug bites at first)

-After itchy stage the spots went very flaky and then dark brown

-I noticed after they stopped itching (around 2 months in) I got no new spots after that.

At this point I would use Aveeno skin relief, head and shoulders conditioner directly as a shower gel and a couple times a week I'd sit in the sun for 15-20mins. Also when I showered I made sure not to have the water too hot as I felt that could irritate the spots/itchy-ness.

-The dark brown spots went flat and kind of spread in size, but then gradually started to fade and then the relief that I knew it was going.

-It has taken a while for the dark spots to disappear. It's been about 2-3 months later, most of the spots have gone completely (as others have said you would never know there was any) and I still have some that are still fading.

Hope this might be helpful for anyone. I got really really down when it was at it's most prominent and felt gross, but once I was sure what it was I started to distract myself from it, and it really did just go away by itself! If I'm honest I have no idea if the skin creams, conditioner and directly helped, but it helped to feel like I was doing something thanks to the advice of others, and since they were easy to buy, why not!

Good luck to anyone who is suffering from it now, if you can get to a doctor I'd advise doing that so you at least know what you have. But you will get through it!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.