Sharing my experience - recurring shingles

Posted , 285 users are following.

I'm a 35 year old female and have had recurring shingles for about 7 years which occurs anything from 3-7 times a year and occasionally back to back. It is always a small cluster of itchy/stinging spots at the base of my spine and thankfully, the only other symptom can be overly sensitive skin down the back of my thighs. It is the only 'illness' that I ever suffer from - I never get colds or other 'bugs' that seem to plague everyone around me. So, the main guidelines about shingles are very general and should not discount anyone who suffers from this if they fall outside the norm for the condition i.e. over 50, poor immune system, you only get it once, spots appear on the sides, chest or face etc. as I don't fit any of these but have had tests and confirmation.

My advice to anyone else who suffers from this is - do try to get antiviral medication like aciclovir as it will minimise the frequency of outbreaks, try the coldsore patches from the chemist (Compeed is the brand I use) - they can be costly but keep the area clean and covered to prevent spreading and definitely seem to clear it up more quickly and with less scarring and, finally, try not to touch the area at all outside of treating it. I have become good at recognising the early sysmptoms and the earlier I act on it, the less troublesome it is. I have also made a connection with using sunbeds as a couple of outbreaks have occurred shortly after using one so minimise UV exposure of the area (not usually a problem when it's on your bottom!). Hope this helps.

35 likes, 501 replies

501 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I get Shingles approx. every 12 months, they appear as a small cluster on one cheek of my bottom, I am lucky as each attack is very mild compared to some people I know who have had one bad dose. Mine seems to be reappear but the sypmots are mild. A few days before the spots break I am very tired and always think I have just over done it but then the spots appear and I seem to feel a bit better. It usually clears up within about 2 weeks. The only problem is my friends and family have given up on the sympathy now, its just \"oh right shingles again never mind, anyway can you just do me a favour\" so ideas of rest relaxation and being looked after are off the list.
    • Posted

I share the region of my recurring shingles with you, but get it with increasing frequency. Used to recur every three months approx, but the last couple of times have been around six weeks apart only. I also now don't get other symptoms really - but I've a permanent scar now on my left cheek on my bottom. Like you, I get no sympathy from family or friends any more! The worst things about it are the soreness and very uncomfortable when sitting down or lying on my back. I haven't bothered going to the doctor with this now since the third bout and don't treat it at all. I've had these recurring bouts now since 2012, and my age is 67. Otherwise slim, fit & healthy - excellent diet, etc apart from being susceptible also to recurrent urinary tract infections (a post - menopause thing, I think)! 
    • Edited

Patricia, I have heard of a shingles immunisation shot that can be administered by your G.P, recommended for over 50's  Have you enquired about this?  I also get neuropathic pain for quite a while since they started appearing on my coocyx.  My doctor is able to give me a prescription, sanctioned by some government body (Australia), that gives me a prescition for daily dosage of of oral Acyclovyr with 5 repeats.  Good luck  with it, sympathy only comes from other sufferers, I'm afraid.
    • Edited

I have also been having recurrent shingles type virus on my butt cheek for over 10 years. It started in my early 30s. I thought it was a spider bite, then went to the doctor. Stress usually insets it, I feel a dull pain on right side of body a few days before outbreak. I've never had outbreaks in any other spot. I usually am very fatigued during outbreaks and have low energy. I got chicken pox as an adult- at 25. When I went for treatment for chicken pox, the nurse gave me a vaccine for it and said she didn't know what that would do. My chicken pox was really bad and it eventually went away, and I remembered the scenario of the vaccine at that time. My rash occurs at the injection site. I also thought it could be caused or spread by tanning bed- as I noticed that an outbreak sometimes would happen after tanning bed. I also considered that it could've been spread sexually- but with no other rash sites- that seems very unlikely to me. I usually get a rash anywhere from 1-4 times a year- it's very frustrating and consumes my energy when it reoccurs. It's helpful to have found this thread- as I felt like the only one. Thank you.
    • Edited

I put up a reply but I included a link to another site with informaton so it now has to be moderated. Hopefully it will come up soon but the main information was I have just found out that all Argenine rich foods like nuts and chocolate must be avoided (you can look up which other foods to avoid) andf also any argenine supplements (which I had been taking the last two weeks and wondering why I have had two flare ups in two weeks! Stong doses of between 1000 to 2000 mg of L-Lysine must be taken to counteract any Argenine - all agree on this, but reduce doses once outbreak has gone. I pray this information helps us all.

I also read that apple cider vinegar soaked on a rag or cotton wool on the blisters helps, apparently followed by cayenne pepper on them, then heat, like a hot water bottle, on them.

Large doses of Vit C are definitely helpful. I do hope this helps us all.

• Edited

I have found all this information also. I have been avoiding those foods and taking lysine. Also eating foods high in lysine. Fish, poultry, you hurt, cheeses. Doing good so far!!
    • Posted

That's great! Although I wish I didn't have another flare up, I am overjoyed to have maybe found the root to it all. To avoid wheat and thinking I'm being healthy I eat crunchy oats every day for breakfast and it contains almonds of course, plus add pumpkin seeds and others, so all that has to change!
    • Posted

Nuts and seeds were a huge part of my diet! It has been hard. To make it worse, I've started a juice cleanse that ends with the last 4 days of live food eating (which is a lot of seeds and nuts)!!! I'm still not sure if what I am going to do??? I may just increase my lysine intake? Not sure.
    • Posted

I would be inclined to miss out the nuts and pumkin seds at least. You could use other seeds like apricot seeds, apple seeds, cherry seeds, nectarine seeds, peach seeds, pear seeds, plum seeds, prune seeds, squash seeds. Natural linseed is very good too. Myself, I wouldnt risk eating food high in Argenine any more.
    • Posted

Thanks for info on nuts. Or is it seeds ??? 👍❤️
    • Posted

I am told to avoid all nuts but especially almonds, and pumpkin seeds, chocolate  sad  and you can research on good sites about herpes infetions and others about Lysine high foods like apples, apricots, vegetables like broccoli, dsairy foods etc.
    • Posted

I remember having mastitis and going to the nurse for a butt injection,she was young and disrupted listening to a conversation in the next room which she didn't seem happy about. Anyway she only spoke a few words to me as she was to busy 'listening' I then started to get the herpes blisters at the site if injection like yourself. Made me wonder if it was a clean needle or did the injection cause a nerve reaction!.
    • Posted

man i eat almonds in my smoothy every morning ...is that all nus

• Posted

good morning. regarding the vaccination for shingles.  i have had the vaccination and broke out the following four years with the shingles. my primary care said the outbreaks would  have been A LOT worse had i not received the vaccination, so be thankful, it could be much worse she said. try to find one small thing to be grateful for, it willhelp your mind stay positive and relaxed. it affects women more than men bec us gals are overly stressed. don't forget to take walks and breath.
    • Posted

u need to get ur nerves under control..i am post men and do not get urinary tract infection...try drinking more water..a nd as u already no cranberry jouice...i have found chocolte is a trigger for m....but stress is huge...good luck
    • Posted

thank you so much for your story. I also suffer from shingles and the after pain I started a keto diet which I eat lots of nuts and I've been getting shingles every couple of weeks they seem to never go away I'm living in pain right now I'm going to research about what not to eat again I thank you good luck

• Posted

Hi Valeriee

Please no more nut as they are full of arcane a amino acid that stimulates a outbreak, also no chocolate. You need to be on a high lysine diet, as this fights against outbreaks, which is more apples pears green vegetables, milk, fish, chicken. Google shingles diet and you should find a diet list. This diet as Controle my 2-3 a year outbreak for 10 years to 1 per year without medication that did not work for me.

Cosmogirl

• Posted

That should say arginine, not arcane. Dam spell check.

Cosmogirl

• Posted

Well I've had this recurring for a good few years now... I've always thought that I had herpes wasn't until this week that I went to docs as had a very sore cervix, unbearable pain.... I also had a wee outbreak so spoke to doctor with my concerns and she said that she thinks it's shingles as it on the top of my thigh at the back, she did internal and said yep I have some blisters up there! So fir the first time I am on medication (horse pills) for a week my partner and family are understanding. I'm so glad I've found this site and the relief that I have now that I know what it is. I've just had 3 back to back as well and I've eaten lots of nuts... So thanks I now know to stay away from nuts and sunbeds.

• Edited

try using Yoghurt on the skin problems--yoghurt is a hostile environment for shingles with a Ph 4 in the acidic range.  shingles are extremely predatory to the nearby nerve fibres so it is a matter of coating the yoghurt over a wide area not just on the patches.  apply at least twice per day
    • Edited

no shot, no vaccine people. Read what is actually in them. The adjuvants...Poisons!

• Posted

hello ,

i just wanted to talk to you about your experience with recurrent shingles on buttcheek

• Posted

i have had a shingle outbreak 2 separate times after the tanning bed.. I am so glad to have found someone that has had this happen to them as well. people think I'm crazy for suggesting that the tanning bed could have given me shingles. I have had shingles 8 other times the past 10 yrs. I'm only 33. I hope I get some answers I'm being tested for an autoimmune disorder again. have you been diagnosed autoimmune?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.