Sharing my experience - recurring shingles

Posted , 285 users are following.

I'm a 35 year old female and have had recurring shingles for about 7 years which occurs anything from 3-7 times a year and occasionally back to back. It is always a small cluster of itchy/stinging spots at the base of my spine and thankfully, the only other symptom can be overly sensitive skin down the back of my thighs. It is the only 'illness' that I ever suffer from - I never get colds or other 'bugs' that seem to plague everyone around me. So, the main guidelines about shingles are very general and should not discount anyone who suffers from this if they fall outside the norm for the condition i.e. over 50, poor immune system, you only get it once, spots appear on the sides, chest or face etc. as I don't fit any of these but have had tests and confirmation.

My advice to anyone else who suffers from this is - do try to get antiviral medication like aciclovir as it will minimise the frequency of outbreaks, try the coldsore patches from the chemist (Compeed is the brand I use) - they can be costly but keep the area clean and covered to prevent spreading and definitely seem to clear it up more quickly and with less scarring and, finally, try not to touch the area at all outside of treating it. I have become good at recognising the early sysmptoms and the earlier I act on it, the less troublesome it is. I have also made a connection with using sunbeds as a couple of outbreaks have occurred shortly after using one so minimise UV exposure of the area (not usually a problem when it's on your bottom!). Hope this helps.

35 likes, 501 replies

501 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes, I too believe that stress and anxiety are triggers. I have generalized anxiety and suffer stress and depression and feelingfeelings of doom and sadness ( I have no idea why as I'm a happy go lucky person and try to avoid all drama). I am in the process of having my immune tested to see if im deficient in anything.I'll pist here if they find anything to help others. Best of luck everyone.

• Posted

I have also been getting these recurring shingles in the same spot. Luckily, I was visiting a Dr about other issues ( getting blood work- due to being fatigue and not being able to lose weight) and asked her about this small area on my bum that had this irritation. I was currently on my monthly and the Dr told me it was shingles. The shingles would always come during my cycle, the Dr explained that when i was on my cycle my immune was at it weakest and that is when I would get it. She prescribed me some medicine and told me to take it at the beginning of the out break. And within 24 hours it was gone. I don't remember the name of the meds, as i just recently moved and can't find my medicine bottle! But being tired does make sense, I am healthy in all other areas, but i do feel rally tired when this happens, i workout everyday and the last couple of days I have no energy to do so.

I hope you beat this... Until I can get the prescription filled, I have been using Tree Tee oil, it seems to help a little...

• Posted

I found this in WEBMD archives- Nov. 2, 2009 (Philadelphia) -- People with shingles are more likely to suffer a recurrence than previously thought. .."We don't know what causes reactivation of the dormant virus," Moore says. Moore and colleagues studied the medical records of nearly 1,700 people with a confirmed shingles attack from 1996 to 2001. Only 8% had compromised immune systems, she says. But 95 of them suffered 105 recurrences by the end of 2007. "Clearly most recurrent attacks are occurring in people with healthy immune systems," she says.

The time between attacks ranged from 96 days to 10 years. Recurrences were:

2.8 times more likely in people with shingles-associated pain for 30 or more days during the initial episode. 4.8 times more likely in people with shingles-associated pain for 60 or more days during the initial episode. 60% more likely in women than men. 40% more likely in people who were 50 or older when they had their initial attack... I tried to post the link to this article but, for some reason they didn't allow it to be posted. I am now a 54-year-old female. I have been getting reoccurring shingles since I was 12 years. I also had shingles with both my pregnancies. I read an article that said it happens frequently during pregnancy. I am in excellent health I am very fit just last weekend I rode my bike in 2 days over 300 miles. I was a college gymnast and I have always been athletic and continue to maintain my fitness. However,  since getting older the frequency of my recurrences seems to come quicker and are becoming more painful with each episode. The pain is more in my hip-flexor on the side I get it in on my back. Sometimes it's my left side sometimes it's my right side. I also get a neck ache if I get it at the base of my neck. I feel very frustrated because the pain can be quite debilitating in my hip-flexor or hip joint when I get it on my back. When I get it at the base of my neck it causes my neck to be stiff. It's also very frustrating because no one believes you. It's embarrassing to share with anyone that I have reoccurring shingles because they think I'm something wrong  with me, or they do not believe me. My favorite part of the article (the one that I was unable to send the link for so everyone could see the whole article) is... "Clearly most recurrent attacks are occurring in people with healthy immune systems," ... Doctors need to become more aware of this information because it's almost like the Doctors shame you if you tell them you've had it more than once.  I'm so tired of feeling embarrassed and ashamed for having shingles. So not only do I have to feel embarrassed and ashamed but, while I'm feeling this way I'm also in horrible pain from the shingles. I do hope that they will continue to do research in this area. I also hope Doctors get the word out some people just have reoccurring shingles and it's nothing to be ashamed. NO one knows exactly what reactivates the virus for some people it could be as little as a small amount of stress. I keep wondering what maybe we all have in common.  I know that I'm allergic to Bacterium. I also know that I'm have A- blood. I am grateful for this website and all the people on it.

• Posted

I read that same article last night!!! I was so relieved. I have been feeling paranoid that my immune system is failing! However, I have noticed that ever since I came down with shingles 2 yrs ago at age 42, I do catch colds and flu's easily. I have a lot of children and I used to be able to take care of all of them as every strain came through my house without coming down with it. This year I got sick with every child. From the flu to a sinus infection. It is very scary to feel so vulnerable.

• Posted

I just read the same article after a second outbreak of shingles. My first episode was a month ago. I am 45 with what I consider a low stress lifestyle, but my immune system is not the greatest, but better than many, and I try to eat a healthy diet and exercise daily in addition to teaching figure skating.

I went to the doctor to talk about diet options to improve my energy. I had been very fatigued and had low energy for about 2 weeks prior to going to the doctor for this concern. She didn't do any tests other than to check my thyroid levels (on going for 25 years) and said eat only fruits and vegetables and get rid of stress in my life. A few days later, I had back pain and thought I moved wrong during a lesson and about 2 days after, broke out in a rash. I went to the doctor, took the prescribed anti-viral medicine and dealt with symptoms. I treated itching and tingling with essential oils (a friend made up a spray that has tee tree oil, coconut oil, Lavender and several other oils). About 2 to 3 days ago, I started itching and having pain on my abdomen and today broke out again with a rash that looks just like the last one. Guess it's back to the doctor and for medicine. How can I ever get my immune system built back up if I have another bout of shingles? Should I get the vaccine? Will that help reduce it recurring again?

• Posted

Get tested for HSV2. Zoster does not break out that frequently. Most doctors miss diagnose Zoster as HSV2 because of how similar they are. They are treated the same. However the treatment for HSV2 is a much longer treatment. Usualy the same drug you just take it for a longer period ot time. HSV2 can lay dormant for decades. Poeple go there whole life some times with out ever having an out break while others break out some times every other month. Family physicians do not have the training to tell the difference. It usually takes an infectious disease doctor to recognize the difference. A family physician would have to have your blood tested.
    • Posted

Talk to Merry about this. She gets zoster every 3-5 weeks and has been tested for everything. Including the expensive zoster test, which is the only thing that came out positive. I do believe that shingles can keep coming back, as there are more and more people who are dealing with this same problem.
    • Posted

Hello this is Thinsport- I just thought that I would give you some more information that I found a little while ago.-My apologies I am just now seeing your reply. Also my apologies if you've already seen this information Some more information...No One Knows exactly what causes a reactivation of the virus! If they knew exactly what caused it there probably wouldn't be this forum. You could have a good immune system and get it. You may also have a poor immune system and get it. Some of the other speculations / research published in medical journals suggest these things may contribute to reactivation of the virus but like I said before they do not know for sure.  1). Having experienced injuries or nerve damage also seems to raise the risk for shingles, since within the nerves is where the virus lays dormant. 2). Some research suggests that traumatic stimulation of the nerves in the dorsal root ganglion can trigger the virus to reactive. 3). Some people also seem to be genetically predisposed to the development of herpes zoster to some extent, with research showing that changes in the gene for interleukin-10 (an immune-system mediator) are associated with an increased incidence of herpes zoster, as is a family history of the virus. 4).  Finally, the impact of high amounts of stress and poor gut health shouldn’t be overlooked. Psychological stress, chronic stress, or dramatic life events seem to contribute to VZV reactivation, with studies showing an association between physical, emotional and sexual abuse and higher incidence of shingles. According to a report published in the Journal of Infectious Diseases, contributing psychological factors for shingles development include financial stress, inability to work, decreased independence and an inadequate social-support environment.

• Posted

I also meant to say that I have had the vaccine for shingles. It did not seem to work about nine months after the vaccine I had a case of shingles and seem to be the worst ever!
    • Posted

Thanks. I went back to the doctor today and the zoster culture done when I first broke out came back positive and the blood work negative for anything else including hsv2 (negative). The doctor thinks that is a continuation from first episode. The antiviral medicine was not a high enough dose and was only for 5 days. So, back on higher and longer dose of antiviral medicine.
    • Posted

Well I don't want them to come back! I've heard more people still get shingles after the vaccine.

• Posted

No One Knows exactly what causes a reactivation of the virus! If they knew exactly what caused it there probably wouldn't be this forum. You could have a good immune system and get it. You may also have a poor immune system and get it. Some of the other speculations / research published in medical journals suggest these things may contribute to reactivation of the virus but like I said before they do not know for sure.  1). Having experienced injuries or nerve damage also seems to raise the risk for shingles, since within the nerves is where the virus lays dormant. 2). Some research suggests that traumatic stimulation of the nerves in the dorsal root ganglion can trigger the virus to reactive. 3). Some people also seem to be genetically predisposed to the development of herpes zoster to some extent, with research showing that changes in the gene for interleukin-10 (an immune-system mediator) are associated with an increased incidence of herpes zoster, as is a family history of the virus. 4).  Finally, the impact of high amounts of stress and poor gut health shouldn’t be overlooked. Psychological stress, chronic stress, or dramatic life events seem to contribute to VZV reactivation, with studies showing an association between physical, emotional and sexual abuse and higher incidence of shingles. According to a report published in the Journal of Infectious Diseases, contributing psychological factors for shingles development include financial stress, inability to work, decreased independence and an inadequate social-support environment.

• Posted

Sounds like HSV2 not zoster. I would get tested!!
    • Posted

Just wanted to let you know beau758 because I feel you need to be updated a little bit. You can have reoccurring shingles. I have been tested for HSV2 and I am negative. I have had several of my shingles outbreaks tested and they were positive for shingles.
  • Posted

Truly amazing , how much you can learn here n from Merry , I'm in process of getting new NP , hopefully she'll be more open to the shingles .... I still hear OH NO YOU CAN GET THEM ONLY ONCE .,,

🙀Thanks. Perps for your input n caring 😘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.