Sharing my experience - recurring shingles

Posted , 285 users are following.

I'm a 35 year old female and have had recurring shingles for about 7 years which occurs anything from 3-7 times a year and occasionally back to back. It is always a small cluster of itchy/stinging spots at the base of my spine and thankfully, the only other symptom can be overly sensitive skin down the back of my thighs. It is the only 'illness' that I ever suffer from - I never get colds or other 'bugs' that seem to plague everyone around me. So, the main guidelines about shingles are very general and should not discount anyone who suffers from this if they fall outside the norm for the condition i.e. over 50, poor immune system, you only get it once, spots appear on the sides, chest or face etc. as I don't fit any of these but have had tests and confirmation.

My advice to anyone else who suffers from this is - do try to get antiviral medication like aciclovir as it will minimise the frequency of outbreaks, try the coldsore patches from the chemist (Compeed is the brand I use) - they can be costly but keep the area clean and covered to prevent spreading and definitely seem to clear it up more quickly and with less scarring and, finally, try not to touch the area at all outside of treating it. I have become good at recognising the early sysmptoms and the earlier I act on it, the less troublesome it is. I have also made a connection with using sunbeds as a couple of outbreaks have occurred shortly after using one so minimise UV exposure of the area (not usually a problem when it's on your bottom!). Hope this helps.

35 likes, 501 replies

501 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Has anyone tried using a sauner to help the itchy areas when suffering from PNH after getting shingles?? Reason I ask is because I have been going to use an exercise bike, get hot & sweaty and my itchy areas clear up for 3-4 hours.. may flush the virus out on my skin areas. Any thought or info?

• Posted

mmm interesting . That is why a lot of sweat boxes/saunas are coming back into fashion . It's on the news as well.,

• Posted

Hi

I have had shingles about five times, mostly on my upper leg. Twice last year and taking ages to clear up. I notice that I feel very tired and sometimes dizzy when the shingles is active. Does anyone else feel like that. GPs always say it is too Kaye to treat. I have read about food affecting recurrences so I avoid peanut products etc.

Iva

• Posted

I have had shingles five times always on my upper leg. I had it twice last year and the scarring is still there. I've noticed that stress brings on an attack and by the time I visit the GP he says it is too late to treat. I feel very tired and sometimes dizzy while the shingles is active, does anyone else feel like this?

• Posted

Yes, I sometimes feel some dizziness. My shingles tend to be in my face and have been in my ear.
    • Posted

I have had shingles and the post pain since Nov 4th and it was definitely brought on by stress. I am a healthy over 50 year old, career woman but this illness has devastated my whole body and emotional, psychological well being. I cannot take strong drugs and don't want to either, so I have had to find alternative methods to deal with the pain. I have felt dizzy at times and generally just not myself since I got shingles. I used to have tons of energy now I don't. I have suddenly started to get bad anxiety attacks all directly related to my worry about not feeling well and if I will ever not be in pain. I think it is natural to feel stress and anxiety when going through shingles and the pain afterwards. I have found some good alternative ways to help me, however. Breathing exercises help, meditation, visualization exercises, getting a lot of sleep and rest and especially eating a very balanced, healthy diet. Cera Va cream has no dangerous chemicals and it helps enormously with itching. Gel ice packs on the painful parts under my arm reduce or eliminate the pain. I found some cloth gel packs that I hope I can pin under my clothes so that if the pain gets bad I can pin one on. I really want to resume my life and go back to work. If I force myself to think positively that I will make a full recovery, I think it is possible. All the doctors I have seen said they thought my pain would definitely go away but it would take time. I have had friends who had bad cases of shingles who said the pain eventually left but it took awhile. Not being stressed is hard when going through shingles but all the health professionals and everyone I know who has had shingles say that stress only makes the pain last longer. Not focussing on the pain is a very good way to not feel the pain at all or as much. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am over 50 too and agree with you that stress is a factor and does not help the condition. Thanks also for your advice, I think that rest is a great help if it is possible. When work is manic it isn't easy ! I think that it is important to listen to your body. My flare ups have occurred when work has been extra busy, also emotional upsets don't help either. Best to keep positive though smile

• Posted

stress is how many is how many of us get Shingles. Too much can cause so many reactions in our bodies. My doc gave me the shingles vaccine after I,broke out the first time it has shorten the duration and frequency. 
    • Posted

Yes. My symptoms are pain, extreme fatigue, insomnia, mild nausea, periodic dizziness, headache, itching, and sometimes upper respiratory symptoms. You need to tell your dr to prescribe you the antivirals, so they are in your cupboard for the first sign of an attack. The more you have episodes untreated, the more nerve damage you can have. You sound like you are doing great things to help your body heal. Good luck
    • Posted

Yes thanks, it's the fatigue that is the main symptom. The diet (high lysine ) has helped too.

• Posted

Hi! I didn't suffer from chicken pox before... then I why am i suffering from shingles.... is the excruciating pain normal??? I am 22 and a male...

• Posted

You cannot get shingles without having had chickenpox before. It may be you had chickenpox and it was so mild that it wasn't diagnosed.I had it at 4 yrs old and had about 12 spots. I gave it to my sister who was 9 at the time and she was covered from top to toe- Inside her ears, mouth.. unfortunately it is me that is on my 4th episode..

• Posted

I'm a male 44. Getting it on my lower bum side for the last 15:years. Every 3 month. Last month got a grand mal seizure , 😐 woke up 15 min later on the floor...dont know if its connected...feeling deezy since...wish i could just end this ....zovirax works ok, stress seems indeed like a trigger...about foods....not so sure...

• Posted

Have you tried the diet?? I mean seriously tried. Very low argenine rich foods contrasted with very high lysine rich foods. I takes about 3-4mo consistently on this type of diet to make a significant change in symptoms. Give it a try...if you haven't. Take care

• Posted

I recently have been experiencing pain in my left hip left leg and foot. Along with that I have  gotten an itchy bumpy rash on the inside of my left ankle and right above my tailbone. I can't see the one on my tailbone but I can tell it has changed from a couple days ago. I went to the dr yesterday and she said it was not shingles because it was at the center of my tailbone and neither rash was weeping. She says it's execema  I don't think I buy the diagnoses. Any thoughts?

• Posted

Hi, Insist that your doctor order a blood test to check for varicella zoster virus (shingles virus). There are two versions the IgG and the Igm this will show 1) if you carry the virus which most of us do having been exposed to chicken pox and 2) if the virus has been 'active' recently in your system which could indicate a shingles outbreak. I am NOT a medically trained person and nothing I say should be taken as medical advice. I have had shingles and had pain long before any blisters appeared-the blood testing confirmed it and I was able to get the right treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.