Sharing my experience - recurring shingles

Posted , 285 users are following.

I'm a 35 year old female and have had recurring shingles for about 7 years which occurs anything from 3-7 times a year and occasionally back to back. It is always a small cluster of itchy/stinging spots at the base of my spine and thankfully, the only other symptom can be overly sensitive skin down the back of my thighs. It is the only 'illness' that I ever suffer from - I never get colds or other 'bugs' that seem to plague everyone around me. So, the main guidelines about shingles are very general and should not discount anyone who suffers from this if they fall outside the norm for the condition i.e. over 50, poor immune system, you only get it once, spots appear on the sides, chest or face etc. as I don't fit any of these but have had tests and confirmation.

My advice to anyone else who suffers from this is - do try to get antiviral medication like aciclovir as it will minimise the frequency of outbreaks, try the coldsore patches from the chemist (Compeed is the brand I use) - they can be costly but keep the area clean and covered to prevent spreading and definitely seem to clear it up more quickly and with less scarring and, finally, try not to touch the area at all outside of treating it. I have become good at recognising the early sysmptoms and the earlier I act on it, the less troublesome it is. I have also made a connection with using sunbeds as a couple of outbreaks have occurred shortly after using one so minimise UV exposure of the area (not usually a problem when it's on your bottom!). Hope this helps.

35 likes, 501 replies

501 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i too have had shingles many times i stopped counting after 50 i sought an infectious disease dr and besides shaking his head he offered the explainaton that the virus is in my bloodstream and when im stressed they will potentially occur
  • Posted

Hi my name is dominique and i just been diagnosed with the shingle virus im 26yrs old and i really dont know what to do.Is it contagious i have a baby at home
    • Posted

It is not contagious to your baby and has shingles but it is contagious to your baby as chickenpox. Chickenpox can be very hard on small babies. My doctor told me  that during the active phase (blisters, etc)  you should avoid contact. I know that is a difficult thing to say. Make sure that you wash your hands and keep everything clean. Others may know  what Klinzing formulas our best to wipe up where you have touched. I think the main thing is to keep it covered .  Otherwise, I would suggest that you ask your doctor and look up more information. I was told that I cannot be around babies until they have had  there chickenpox immunization and booster. This is during the times that the virus is flared up in me 
  • Posted

Hi. I have been having Reoccuring shingles for over 8 years. My shingles look just like chicken pox and always on right side of my scalp,face, shoulder, and arm. They are itchy, burn intensely and in general HURT! As I have read on here , I feel like I am coming down with flu, achy, fever, sore throat, etc.. My pain mgmt team is sympathetic but has done everything they know to do to stop the shingles from re occurring. My head , face, and arms are scarred and I am very self conscious of the scars. Family doesn't figure its a big deal it has happened so much. I have trouble with anxiety and depression because of pain and my health is poor due to the stress of fighting shingles on a regular basis. Just needed somewhere to go where people understand all that is involved in this illness.

• Posted

Hi Laura,

I'm so sorry you suffer with this dreadful shingles disease. We are all sympathetic to you on this site because we are all shingles victims. I relate to what you wrote about friends and family not really understanding what it is like to have constant PHN pain and/or recurring shingles. The isolation of it all can contribute to feelings of depression and anxiety. This illness, I believe, has negatively affected almost every part of my body. For instance, I am allergic to things I was never sensitive to before. I have numbness my feel I never had before shingles. I am still trying to regain my energy after getting shingles eight months ago. I still get abnormally tired all the time and have aches and pains I never had before including headaches and a general feeling of head-foggyness. I had none of these symptoms before getting shingles. But, I must admit, I seem to be very slowly getting better. I just want you to know you aren't alone. Good luck. 

• Posted

Oops. I meant I have numbness in my feet I never had before shingles. The doctors say that because my shingles was in my left side and back that the spinal cord nerves can affect the feet and cause a feeling of numbness. It isn't painful just irritating. I just wish all the symptoms would one day go away. All I can do is try to live a healthy lifestyle, avoid stress and hope that I will continue to feel a tiny bit better as times goes on. 

• Posted

My 1st occurrence was on the back of my thigh, I think.  Since then I have had them under my arm twice but mostly on my scalp.  I usually get the achiness and tiredness 24 hours before, then the lesions show up and then they are gone in 48 hours.  I get the burning in the sites where I have had them before quite a lot.  I panic every time I do because I think they are coming back.  The OTR cold sore ointments seem to work best for me.  I am going to try some of the things suggested here like the L-Lysine.  I haven't been able to get mine even looked at by a dermatologist because it takes weeks to get an appointment and by then they are gone. 

• Posted

I can't believe I found this site today!  I have had outbreaks on my buttocks since I was in my late 20's. I am now 56!  I usually have them at least six times a year.   I never used to connect the fatigue with the outbreaks until recently. This week my fatigue and flu-like symptoms are the worst they've ever been.  I had an outbreak on my back after an especially stressful time a few years ago, and it was the same type of rash I'd had on my buttock for years.  I decided today to start researching if the outbreaks on my buttock were also shingles.  Everything I read pointed to the fact that it was rare to get shingles more than once and then only for people with low immune systems.  I am healthy besides this problem. Then I found this forum!  I had not idea about the nuts, and will research this more. I eat a LOT of almonds.  Thank all of you for your input. I'm so frustrated about the fatigue, but this gives me hope!  

• Posted

I am 59 and had  outbreaks since my 20’s always in the same place exactly left buttock. I thought I was the only one and thought it must have been caught sexually. I am so glad to hear there are other people the same. I would say stress definitely brings it on for me. For years i used to use Zovirax on it and it would last 10 days or so. Difficult to sit down for a few days. I bucked up courage only a few years ago and went to doctor about it and now take aclivor as soon as it appears and it goes in a few days. 
    • Posted

Hi Sharon , my first shingles started in mid 2015 , & Oct. & again Dec. 2016 . Always had bad night sweats before breakout. I decided to study fruits that work as antival properties that really help with immune. Tamarind is one. Granabana is another. I make at least 3 smoothies a week. I mix both fruits togeather with organic carrot & apple juice. Any organic juice will work .  I don’t think I will ever have shingles again , I really think I’m immuned from the flu. I had more energy with in days of starting. And recently started eating 2 cloves of raw garlic every day. I cut it up and take like pills. Garlic is also very antiviral. I believe natural is so much better than pharmaceutical. Nov. 2016 I was diagnosed with stage 4 leukemia. My spleen was 3” oversized. I found Granabana fruit pulp mid Jan. Killed my non cureable disease in 4 days before cemo was to start . With in 4 months my spleen was normal.  I’m totally about healing & prevention naturaly

• Posted

I am very sorry to hear of your diagnosis and very glad to hear how you are doing now. Hope you are in remission soon. 

I had to look up the fruit and after I saw the pic I thought oh that's what that strange fruit is I see in the stores sometimes. Very happy to hear of the natural way you have found for healing . I will give it a try! 

Have a great day!

• Posted

Yust this week had blood test that confirmed I’m cancer free. It is all from Granabana. I’m cured , I now  try to eat more healthy. Cutting surgers except fruits & juices was the hardest thing for me . I only buy frozen pulp from Goya , Granabana fruit will over ripen easy. But once thawed out no more than 48 hours in fridge. I started tamarind after I killed the cancer . Tamarind fruit is a lot of trouble , so the frozen pulp is the way to go. There is several companies that package them. But Goya is the only brand I can buy local. Stay away from surgery drinks with Granabana. They are super high in surgers. Some Wal-Marts sell the fruits. Most grocery store do not. These frozen pulps are very popular at Mexican grocery stores . Since last May I started drinking beet, carrot, & apple juice , only organic every morning . It is called a mirical drink. Easy on the beet juice , it might lower blood pressure to much

• Posted

My leukemia is not in remission , I killed it , I no longer have any signs of it. It will not come back. I eat all the proper foods now. 
    • Posted

Congratulations your cancer free! Great news and you have worked very hard for remission. 

Thanks for the info I will get the pulp. Can't wait to try it. Sugars and complex carbs are out of my diet for most of the time. I grow all my veggies and some fruits and freez for winter.

beet juice is a great substitute for sugars can help with so many health issues. I get bet pellets for the animals instead of corn feed.

Take care and I am so proud of you for taking your health in your hands and follow thru with what it takes to be healthy and cancer free. 

Many blessings sent your way. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.