sharing my experience with Effect of Sunbathing on my hypertension

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am quite a recent member. I am 73 yrs,male,dark skinned,Indian,retired engineer, with years of hypertension controlled with amlodipine and lisinopril 5 mg each. I have been taking this drug for last 15 years. well under control until last six months. Then it started getting above 140 systolic. Last two months I have been exposing myself to sunlight in the morning 8 am to 8-30 am half an hour, 15 minutes on the back and 15 minutes on the front. When I measure BP at 10 am it is 120-125 systolic. My diastolic is below 80 most of the time. This reading  lasts most of the daytime. In the evening it is about 130-135 systolic.

My intention in starting this discussion is to know whether anyone has experience of this sort? Please remember, I am not advocating anyone else to try it. If anyone knows this effect, I want to hear from . If some people find it worth discussion, and want more details,  I will write more  for the sake of discussion. Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have no personal experience of this myself, but I am wondering if you have considered that more effort can be required to work in conditions of extreme heat.

Also, in conditions of uncomfortable heat perhaps our stress levels increase?

In both of these scenarios (if they are correct) an increase in BP might be expected.

I imagine that there is a good deal of conjecture of opinions on this subject as the latest medical information available states that sunlight may actually decrease our BP, so if that is correct maybe the only caviat is connected with how much actual heat there is.

• Posted

Could it just be the result of a totally relaxed half hour in the warm and pleasant conditions you describe?
    • Posted

I have been doing yoga for some years. So, sitting relaxed is the last yoga event of the session. I have not fount more than 4-5 mm of BP reduction . Secondly, while sunbathing, sometimes due to occasional cold draught, the skin is not warmed.. Even then, I got reduction of BP. Just, my observations, please.
  • Posted

Hypertension is evidently lower in people who live nearer the equator and get more vitamin D from sunlight.

You can google for information on it. 

• Posted

Might a rather naieve suggestion might be that the blood vessels expand in warm weather conditions therefore letting more blood through and lowering the pressure?
  • Posted

Shriniva

Interestingly, when I returned from a week's cruise to the Fjords last year, my normally high blood pressure (in spite of medication) was the nearest to normal as it could get for me.  At the time, I wondered whether it was due to the wonderful warm and sunny weather we experienced throughout, with quite a few hours spent sunbathing on the cabin balcony.  

Vitamin D from the sun is known to help reduce high BP, but my Vitamin D supplement taken over 3 months of each winter doesn't seem to have the same effect

Unfortunately, here in the UK, it isn't possible to copy your experiment at present - no warm early morning sunlight to risk exposing much of my body at the moment!

• Posted

Judging by the general trend on this forum I am beginning to think that we all need to go on a long holiday, peferably to somewhere very sunny.
    • Posted

I couldn't agree more.  It would be interesting for those of us on this thread who are going away to sunnier climes this year to post about their BP readings when they return to see if there is a general improvement.  I wonder if a sunlamp would help to reduce high BP?  Has anyone tried it?
    • Posted

Sunlamps don't work, I know because I tried it.

The only thing that sometimes works in my case is if I go away to a warm (not necessarily sunny) place.

I am convinced that the very slight reduction in my BP is due the relaxation factor rather than anything else.

Now here's an interesting thought, would being on holiday all the time reduce one's BP all the time, at least to a level below what it is in our present day to day lives?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.