Sharing the experience

Posted , 11 users are following.

My sister put me onto this forum and felt like I wanted to talk about my experience of vitamin deficiency. After over a month of feeling tired, aching all over having no energy at all, not to mention the many trips to the nhs walk in centre and my doctors, after being told it's just that time of year by my doctor I decided to register with a new doctor and she had my blood tested straight away and the result was vitamin d deficiency.  I have been on prescribed vitamins for around 6 weeks and have been told it will take around 3 months until I start to feel better. I started to get the flu like symptoms about a week ago, my body sometimes feels bruised as my bones ache and I can't stop crying, not just because of the pain but the fact that for nearly three months I have been waking up feeling utterly rubbish, I dream of the day I feel normal. My family are very understanding but trying to explain to your boss why some mornings you can't get out of bed is quite difficult, who would think that something like a vitamin deficiency would make you feel like this. I am off to Egypt next week and am hoping some much needed sunshine will make me feel a bit better.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Do you mind me asking how you're feeling now, after two months of treatment? Are you feeling any better yet? I'm going through the same rigmarole and trying to get a handle on just when I might start to feel like myself again! 

All best wishes.

:-)

• Posted

Hi jaybelle,

its actually been 3 months now since I was diagnosed and prescribed vitamin d, for the past couple of weeks I have to say I do feel better in myself, I am now doing a lot more, ie house work, I haven't had the energy to do anything up to now, the pain is a lot better and the depression seems to have gone, for the first 2 months I was crying most days.  I do have pains in my ribs and chest area still, but think this is just the bones, hopefully this will heal over time. 

Hope u start to feel more yourself soon.

• Posted

Thank you very much for replying. It's great to know that someone out there is feeling better.

I'm 10 weeks in to treatment, crossing my fingers and hoping for a miracle!

• Posted

Hi,

I was wondering if you could tell me more about your deficiency? I was diagnosed with Vit D deficiency and my levels were 14. Could you tell me if your symptoms were similar?

-Aching legs, particularly in the morning but occasionally extremely painful

-Persistant tiredness that fluctuates in severity throughout the day. My tiredness doesn't go away but it gets better and worse

-Headaches

-Constant post nasal drip

-Fullness in my head and a constant spaced out feeling

Finally, could you tell me how long it took you to recover?

Thanks,

James

• Posted

Hi James,

i experienced all the symptoms you have listed apart from the post nasal drip, I felt so ill and the pain was pretty constant. Unfortunately it took me months to start feeling better and over a year I am still experiencing some pain in my chest which I thought was osteomalacia, caused by the deficiency but my doctor says it's just a virus! I do however feel a hundred times better than when I was first diagnosed, so it does get better, you need to take care of yourself, I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi Clare,

Just wondering if your recovery time was the time it took for your levels to get back up, or for the symptoms to improve? My levels are up, but I'm still ill.

Thanks,

James

• Posted

Hi James,

I had my levels tested last September as I was still feeling bad, and they were at 70 so gone back up but still felt rubbish, only started to feel human again after nearly a year, unfortunately it does take a while.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.