sharing toothbrush?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My sister said that our cousin stayed over at mine a month ago and forgot to mention to my sister that she forgot her toothbrush and just decided to use my sister toothbush! my sister was shocked by this because she did not mention it at the time and for her that is totally unhygenic. She did not seem to be that bothered by and and could not see what the fuss was but my sister a bit annoyed with her actually. my sister have an electric toothbrush and this was a brand new brush head so my sister thought that she was wasting her money if she just throw it away. she had been using this toothbrush for the past month without realising that cousin  had used it as well and she dont think she have any dental problems because of it. She told me she has perfectly healthy teeth and could not understand my point of view at all but it is still unhygenic righ? Am I overreacting here? Should my sister

swap her toothbrush head and lock her toothbrush up next time she visits?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Well, that's an interesting post!  Tell your sister to buy some cheap toothbrushes and leave them in the bathroom for guests and yes,  I would tell her to hide hers, or at least, hide the head.  She could always sterilise the head that the cousin used.

I would not be at all pleased if someone else used my toothbrush and I would probably not use the head again.  Your sister could always leave the used head out for your cousin to use!

• Posted

And I have just read that your sister is only 11, perhaps she should write her name on her toothbrush and, as I said somewhere, hide it when people come to stay!  [Or, hide the head]  And keep some cheap new ones for guests
  • Posted

Gross,I'd never consider another persons brush ever  no matter who they were,It's not there teeth that's healthy,makes no difference ,like all ones bodies all carry bacteria no matter where.A big no from me.cringe at thought of it.
  • Posted

Marlene, you have reminded me,  the mouth is the dirtiest part of the body!
    • Posted

Mouth and hands,poor hygiene ,see what viruses go around these days,I'd think twice eating out these days,I know my kitchen and bathroom is clean but can't speak for anywhere else,unless I know where I am and the people.,antibiotics can't kill off the strains in the viruses these days ,that speaks volumes,so willingly put another's toothbrush or electric brush head in my mouth ,I'd have to be crazy to do so . That saying coughs and sneezes spring to mind.
    • Posted

I know thats marlene but my sister is only 11 years old & she bought this toothbrush on her own pocket money thats why she dont want to lost this toothbrush...hope you will be understand it..smile
    • Posted

You didn't mention her age,keep some spare toothbrushes in house ,problem sorted.
  • Posted

i never advice to useone  brush for more then one person . all of us have different type of bacterias in mouth some of normal oral flora and some are harmful. so we should not share brush 

in your case just go for new brush or you can sterlise head of brush with some chemicals you can put it in Povidone-iodine gargle for 30 mintes .

but i would perfer to advice new brush.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.