Sharp intense kidney pains, possible kidney stones? Any help??

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi im a 23 year old and I wonder if anyone can help? I have been admitted to urgent care 3 times in 4 weeks with what doctors believe is kidney stones I am waiting for an ultrasound which is tomorrow morning and I have a urogolist app in two days time. The pain can only be described as someone sticking a knife and twisting and turning it comes in waves and is so intense. Was waiting 3 hours for an ambulance at home after being found on the floor in intense pain but after not hearing anything was taken to hospital by my parents where blood and urine tests were fine with bloods being normal and urine showing some white cells was put on a course of augmentin 625mg antibiotics and codeine to help with pain. The codeine does help with the pain just makes me feel sleepy and a bit out of It, just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same situation? I know it's a long wait for appointments but it has been going on for nearly 5-6 weeks now and feel like I keep getting fobbed off and told to wait till I have my appointments thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I went through this all last year until finally a consultant removed my kidney stones by keyhole surgery at the beginning of December. Do not be fobbed off. Make sure you have urologists name and details of their secretary.

Keep at them. You should not be having to do this but the reality is that you have to.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah 

• Posted

Thank you for telling me this, I'm at the ultraousnd tomorrow and the urogolist on Tuesday morning. I would not wish the pain on anyone it's awful,did you have the same symptoms as I have? Waves of intense pain in the back and side (flank) feeling sick and tired? I can not go back to work until everything has been cleared up but luckily my boss is very understanding. How did you feel post surgery?

• Posted

Yes pain in right side (kidney area towards the back). which cam  and went then came again etc. etc.

I ended up in A and E quite a few times just with the level of pain. They just kept telling me I had another urine infection and sending me home with antibiotics. Finally on one occasion I said I had had enough and was not coming home until they had investigated further. So Dr discharged me but not until she had made me an appointment for a scan 4 days later. Went for scan and lo and behold kidney stones. I knew something was up.   Post op was not great. I had a catheter and a stent. They originally said I would be in hospital for 2 or 3 days and I was actually in for a week.

Had trouble coping without the stent when they tried to see if I could manage without it.

However it could have been a lot worse.  Still a bit of pain but much better than I was and generally recoverilng well.

Sarah

• Posted

My symptoms are identical to yours I keep getting told it's a uti and sent with different antibiotics each time. I am hoping on Tuesday it will finally start getting somewhere, I do not mind what it takes to get better I just want this pain to stop and to try to be normal again.

If it does require surgery then I'm hoping I will not be waiting too long as having this pain for so long is driving me mad.

Thank you for all your help and advice I will keep you update with what happens tomorrow at the scan then Tuesday with my urgoloy appointment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.