Sharp intermittent stabbing pain top of foot keeping me awake

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have small fibre peripheral neuopathy in lower legs There is no pain. I just feels like I have very tight knee-high socks on. I am not diabetic or overweight. i get really bad night cramps in my feet and side muscles of my shins which wake me up and have to stretch legs.

The last few nights I've been getting intermittent electric-type pains on the top of one foot. They last about 1 second each time but I can't sleep because they are SO SHARP.

i think it's most likely more nerve damage but how the heck can I make them stop when in bed?! Now getting them regularly through the night AND day....

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

This sounds so familiar because my experience is very similar but I do have quite a lot of pain. When I go to bed I take 1mg of clonazepam and 900mg of Gabapentin. I lay in bed until sleep comes. I get up for the loo a few hours later but get back to sleep for a couple of hours. This regime may well not work for you but I thought I would just let you know what I did.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, like Martin, my experience is similar but with burning/tingling in

my feet and to a lesser degree my hands. I am not diabetic. I take 15mg

Mirtazapine which allows me to have a good nights sleep. This medication

does not appear to be one of the more usual A/Ds for this pain and according to

the forum can be difficult to withdraw from but for the time being at least at

night there is some respite from this debilitating painful condition.

With best wishes.....x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.